Saturn has about the same surface gravity as Earth. This means
A) You can jump higher on Saturn than on Earth.
B) Saturn is less massive than the Earth.
C) You can jump about the same height on
If the radius of star A is twice the radius of star B, but both have similar temperatures, how do their
A) Star A is 2 times as luminous as star B.
B) Star A is 4 times as
EXAM PRACTICE (A)
1.Which of the following are the terrestrial planets?
A) Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars
B) Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Pluto
C) Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn
D) Earth only
E) Mercury, Earth, Uranus, Neptune
2. Why do the orbits of the plane
37. Which planet is able to retain the largest (by radius and by
a) Marsb) Jupiter c) Earth d) Venus e) Mercury
38. The process of formation of the Solar System
a) involved the Sun forming from the collapse of a large planet.b)
91. Which of the following makes a meson?
a) a photon and a gravitonb) an up quark and an anti-down quark
c) three up quarksd) a charm quark and a strange quarke) two
down quarks and an anti-up quark
92. What property of dark matter leads to it keeping ga
65. In which part of the Sun are gamma rays produced?
a) coronab) corec) chromosphere d) convection zone e)
66. Which is the longest time?
a) the time it takes for a photon to pass through the radiative zone
of the Sunb) the time it takes a ph
32. Planet A has an orbit with a semi-major axis of 3 Astronomical
Units. Planet B has an orbit with a semi-major axis of 12
Astronomical Units. How does the orbital period compare between
the two planets? Use P squared = a cubed to estimate.
a) Planet B
1. If a planet is seeing its Moon in the New Phase right now, in
what phase would the planet appear to be when viewed from its
a) Third Quarter Planetb) Full Planetc) New Planetd) You cant see
the planet from its Moon e) First Quarter Planet
59. The event horizon of a black hole is:
a) the distance at which a star is torn apart by tidal forcesb) the
minimum distance from which light can escapec) the distance at
which a human body is torn apart by tidal forces d) the distance
from which we can
71. Which of the following is TRUE?
a) The Eagle nebula is an example of a planetary nebula.b) A
brown dwarf is a case where the temperature of a protostar did not
grow enough to
burn Hydrogen.c) Bok globules are very luminous regions in the
79. Which is a reason that we know dark energy is a major
component of the universe?
a) The universe would not be 2.7 degrees Kelvin today without
dark energy.b) The gravity due to regular matter in the universe
would have started it contracting
42. Which has the lowest average density?
a) Mercury b) Venus c) Uranus d) Mars
e) the Moon
43. Which of these planets has rings?
a) Jupiter b) Plutoc) Venus d) Marse) Mercury
44. Which fact about Mars is NOT true?
a) There are giant volcanoes on Mars, la
27. The escape velocity needed for an atom in the atmosphere of a
planet to escape the gravitational pull of the planet is smaller if:
a) the radius of the planet is smallerb) the planet is farther from the
Sunc) the mass of the atom is largerd) the tempe
21. On a planet whose Moon is in the same orbital plane as the
planets orbit around its star, how often will solar eclipses occur?
a) Twice every orbit of its moon (twice a month).b) Once every
orbit of the planet around its Sun (its year). c) Twice every
51. How do astronomers measure the temperature of stars?
a) The inverse square law is used.b) Temperature is determined
from the radius of the star that is measured by radar. c) By looking
at which absorption lines are present in the stars spectrum.d) The
14. One of the lines of Hydrogen has a wavelength of 121.6 nm. If
a cloud of Hydrogen gas is moving TOWARDS us at 200km/s,
what will we detect?
a) An emission line in the clouds spectrum with a wavelength
shorter than 121.6 nm. b) An emission line in the
86. Which of the following is TRUE?
a) It is possible for galaxies that are very distant to actually move
through space at a speed several times the speed of light.
b) A redshift occurs when a photon loses energy and slows down as
it moves through space.
8. What do you expect the spectrum of an object that is 1,000,000
Kelvin to be like?
a) It should give off less total light than the Sun.b) It should peak
at violet wavelengths.c) It should peak at X-ray wavelengths.d) It
should give off about 10 times mo