ACS-Style Final Reports
(Revised Spring 2007)
As with any other field, the practice of chemistry involves the daily use of oral and written
communication skills. Like it or not, your professional success will depend very heavily on your
ability to write a
HW 3: Math 436
25 January - 1 February 13
1. Let S and T L(R2 , R2 )be given by
S (e1 ) = e1 e2 ,
S (e2 ) = e1 + e2 ,
T (e1 ) = e2 ,
T (e2 ) = e1 ,
where cfw_e1 , e2 is the standard basis for R2 .
(a) Find the matrices, M (S ) and M (T ), o
HW 4: Math 436
1 February - 8 February 13
1. Show the following are true for the complex numbers, z = a + bi and w = c + di.
(a) zw = z w.
(b) w + z = w + z .
(c) z z = |z |2 .
2. Let T : V W with V = Pm (F) and W = Pm+2 (F) such that T p(z
Chapter 31 Suggested Problem Solutions
29. L = 6.0 mH = 0.0060 H. C = 10 F = 1.0 10-5 F.
(a) X L = X C
L = 1 / (C)
2 = 1 / (LC)
= 4.1 103 rad/s
(0.006 H)(1.00 10 F)
f = / (2) = (4.1 103 rad/s) / (2) = 6.5 102 Hz.
(b) X L = L = (4.1 103 rad/s)
Chapter 32 Suggested Problem Solutions
2. r top = 2.0 cm = 0.020 m. B top = 0.30 T. bottom = +0.70 mWb = 7.0 10-4 Wb.
A top = r2 = 1.26 10-3 m2.
top = B top A top = (0.30 T)(1.26 10-3 m2) = 3.77 10-4 Wb. (Since the magnetic field is normal to surface)
FINAL EXAM A Solutions
1. Two tiny, spherical water drops, with identical charges of -3.20
center separation of 1.90 cm.
10-17 C, have a center-to-
(a) What is the magnitude of the electrostatic force acting between them?
(b) How many excess electrons are
Exam 2A Solutions
1. Three point electrical charges are situated on the three
corners of an equilateral triangle of side L = 2.50 m as
shown. The first has charge q 1 = +5.50 10-7 C, the
second has charge q 2 = 5.80 10-7 C, and the third
has charge q 3 =
Exam 3A Solutions
1. Two light bulbs, each rated at 5.0 W when attached to a 12.0 V supply, are connected in
(a) What is the resistance of each bulb?
(b) What is the equivalent resistance of the two bulbs in parallel?
They are then attached to a
Lecture Problem Set #4 (Harmonic Oscillator and Vibrations)
Due Monday, February 13, 2012
1. The following questions regard the quantum mechanical harmonic oscillator.
a) Write the wavefunctions and sketch the n = 1, n = 2, and n = 3 s
Series and Sequences: Summary
One of the major applications of series is to the solution of mathematical problems using power series. In order to study how to represent a function as a
power series we rst study series of constant terms, and to do this w
CHEMISTRY 423W: Chemical Spectroscopy
MWF 10:10-11:00 AM in 107 Wartik
T (sec. 1), W (sec.2), R (sec.3) at 1:25-5:30 PM in 330 Whitmore
Dan Sykes, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sarah Boehm, email@example.com, R
Fall 2011 Syllabus
CHEM 457 - Experimental Physical Chemistry
Dr. Bratoljub H. Milosavljevic
Phone: 865-7481, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office hours: by appointment (Note: Your TA is your first contact. If you need
additional help con
Please turn in on your own paper and individually. Problem Set 2 (Due Friday, July 8, 2011)
1. Answer the following questions about the Pourbaix diagram shown below a. Is MnO4 a stronger oxidant at pH 8 or pH 2? Explain your choice. At pH 2,
Final Exam - KEY
1. What is the minimum partition coefficient that permits removal of 99% of a solute
from 50.0 mL of water with
a. two 25.0-mL extractions with toluene (18.0)
b. five 10.0-mL extractions with toluene (7.56)
Recommended Academic Plan - Physical Concentration
(CHEM at University Park; effective FA11)
PSU 16 Freshman Seminar in Chemistry
CHEM 112(H) Chemical Principles II (GN)
CHEM 110(H) Chemical Principles I (GN)
An Introduction to Standards and
Quality Control for the Laboratory
Hach Company, 2002. All rights reserved.
Lit. No. 2426
eac/rb 8/02 1ed
In memory of
Clifford C. Hach
inventor, mentor, leader and, foremost,
Chem 452 Exam 3
Wednesday, November, 14 2012
Time Limit: 1 hour and 30 mins
* Closed book.
One sheet of notes may be used.
Calculators may not be shared.
* Write your name on each page and on this page
Answer each question on the separate page pro