LINEAR PROGRAMMING MODELING APPLICATIONS
WITH COMPUTER ANALYSES IN EXCEL
SOLUTIONS TO PROBLEMS
3-1. Let F = number of French Provincial cabinets produced each day, and D = number of Danish Modern
cabinets produced each day
Objective: Maximize re
TRANSPORTATION, ASSIGNMENT, AND NETWORK MODELS
SOLUTIONS TO DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
5-1. The transportation model is an example of decision making under certainty since the costs of each
shipping route, the demand at each destination, and the suppl
1. Is the transportation model an example of decision making under certainty
or decision making under uncertainty? Why?
- The transportation model is an example of decision making under
certainty. The data, route and items, has to be known in or
1. How do the location and size of warehouses affect the performance of a firm
such as Amazon.com? What factors should Amazon.com take into account
when making this decision?
- Location and size of a warehouse affect the performance of a fi
1. What about food supply chains draws a unique distinction from other types of
Food supply chains have a high chance of having a contamination and
different types of disruptions and because of this food can often be recal
1. The purchase of a can of soda is happening at the end of the supply chain.
When a customer purchases a product, the product goes to the customer and
the money and information go to the retailer. The retailer places an order to
1. A grocery store can use inventory to increase the responsiveness of the
companys supply chain by increasing the cycle inventory or reducing the
2. An auto manufacturing can use transportation to increase the efficienc
1. Describe the differences between an autonomous and systemic product
Autonomous innovation can be pursued independently from other
innovations, while systemic innovations benefits can only be realized when
Gillette Article Questions
1. What problems did Gillette perceive were occurring with its worldwide
Gillette had major problems with their customer service. They had
been doing very poorly with their personal care products.
1. A convenience store can be responsive by looking at what their competitors
are doing, such as the Seven-Eleven in Japan. They can expand their business,
have inventory coming in daily, and updated technological software.