BIOL 244 Anatomy and Physiology II
Semester: Spring - 2016
Catalog Course Description: This course is part II in an intensive coverage of the body as an integrated whole.
Emphasis is placed on the manner in which systems interact to mai
1. Know the esophagus is only involved with the transport of food stuffs to the stomach. No
digestion, breakdown, or absorption occurs in the esophagus.
2. Know the function of the hepatic portal circulation
a. Drains nutrient-rich blood from digestive or
1. Understand function of dartos and cremaster muscles.
- The Scrotum:
Dartos muscle - smooth muscle; wrinkles scrotal skin; pulls scrotum close to body
Cremaster muscles - bands of skeletal muscle that elevate testes
-They regulate the temperature of t
244 Exam 2 Study Guide
1. Know what causes the heart sounds
Two sounds (lub-dup) associated with closing of heart valves
a. First as AV valves close; beginning of systole
b. Second as SL valves close; beginning of ventricular diastole
c. Pause indicates h
1. Know the role of interferon in defense against disease
2. Know the purpose of Natural Killer Cells
3. Know the meaning of opsonization
4. Understand that steroid hormones enter the nucleus and alter gene expression
5. Understand that thrombembolus is a