124. Imagine a confectionary company has introduced a new nutty candy bar during the 1930s
(the sales era in U.S. business history). Which of the following statements would you most
likely expect management to make if sales of this new candy bar were much
168. Which of the following is an example of an ultimate consumer?
A. A newspaper reporter who buys a plane ticket to Washington, D.C., to cover the presidential
B. A school teacher who bought a ticket to the 2002 Winter Olympics opening cere
As product adopters, laggards typically:
fear debt and use neighbors and friends as information sources.
are skeptical and have below average social status.
act with deliberation and use many informal social contac
160. What kinds of organizations engage in marketing?
A. Only those that can afford national advertising.
B. Only very large and established nonprofit organizations.
C. Fortune 500 companies exclusively.
D. Every type of organization markets.
E. The only
8-101 FOCUS GROUP
The Minnesota Twins, a professional baseball team, wanted to develop creative ways to boost
sagging attendance at their ball games. The Twins hired a moderator who, after every home game
during the month of July, led informal
CH. 9 QUESTIONS
1. Business products may be identified as:
a. goods and services purchased for use either directly or indirectly in the production of other
goods and services for resale.
b. products of any kind bought for use in the home b
TURNING MARKETING INFORMATION INTO ACTION
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
8-1 CHAPTER OPENING EXAMPLE: TEST SCREENINGS
Field of Dreams, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids and Pretty Woman were all movies that:
had no marketing research
8-4 CHAPTER OPENING EXAMPLE: TEST SCREENINGS
In the most expensive movie making to date, New Line Cinema produced three Lord of the Rings
films, to be released for Christmas 2001, 2002, and 2003. The estimated cost before production
8-6 MARKETING RESEARCH
TheForce.net is a website that attracts more than 50,000 Star Wars movie fans daily. It is wholly
independent of Lucasfilm (the company responsible for the Star Wars movies), or any other Lucas
corporate entity for that
8-9 MARKETING RESEARCH
Grape-Nuts was one of the first cereals Post Cereal Company ever marketed. It scores well in
brand-awareness, but its sales have been steadily declining. Rather than assume the product was a
dog, the marketing manager fo
147. As organizations have changed their orientation, society's expectations of marketers have
also changed. Today, the emphasis of marketing practice has shifted from the interest of
_ to the interests of consumers.
A. society at large
8-11 MARKETING RESEARCH
Marketing Works, a market research firm located in Anchorage, Alaska, specializes in providing
marketing information to retail stores around the world. The employees at Marketing Works
perform a variety of services for
approaches such as that shown in Figure 8-1.
8-14 FOUR-STEP APPROACH TO MARKETING RESEARCH
Which of the following is NOT a step in the market research process?
Collect relevant information.
Deliver final report.
Take marketing ac
8-16 DEFINE THE PROBLEM
Impiric is an integrated marketing solutions company. Whenever a client comes to it wondering
why a product was not welcomed by its target audience or why customers have stopped buying
another product, Impiric always sug
Research objectives are the:
restrictions placed on potential solutions by the nature of the problem.
criteria or standards used in evaluating proposed solutions to the problem.
specific, measurable goals the deci
Several years ago, SwissAir made some unwise investments to pay for a planned expansion. As a
result, the company had to make some cost-cutting moves that alienated its customers. Eventually
the company declared bankruptcy, regr
8-30 DEVELOP THE RESEARCH PLAN
After defining the problem, the next step in the marketing research process is to:
develop the research plan.
evaluate the results.
examine the alternatives.
enumerate the uncertainties.
206. Imagine you have the sole marketing rights to a new herbal shampoo that stops hair loss
and actually causes new hair growth. You plan to sell your product on an Internet site, which
you will advertise on late night television. You are also hoping to
209. The Apple iPod is rated by Consumer Reports as being one of the best music players in the
industry. The customer may buy and download music by the song from the Internet. Define
customer value. In what ways does the Apple iPod provide value for its c
141. In Figure 01-05, letter "A" represents which stage in the life of market-oriented
A. Sales era
B. Production era
C. Age of consumerism
D. Marketing concept era
E. Customer relationship era
142. In Figure 01-05, lette
150. You change the oil in your car yourself and dump the used oil down the sewer drain which
ultimately flows into the local river. Based on this information, is this a transaction between you
and the oil manufacturer?
A. Yes, you paid for the oil and yo
153. Customer Relationship Management refers to
A. the creation of personal relationships with customers through one-on-one personal
encounters after each sale is concluded in order to maintain customer loyalty.
B. the process of identifying prospective b
156. The study of the aggregate flow of a nation's goods and services to benefit society is
referred to as.
C. societal marketing
D. financial marketing
E. environmental consumerism
157. Which of the following statement
164. Ultimate consumers refer to
A. the people who use the goods and services purchased for a household.
B. people who have already purchased a firm's product at least once, have been satisfied, and
are likely to make repeat purchases.
C. people or organi
172. Utility refers to
A. the benefits or customer value received by users of the product.
B. the adaptability of a marketing program to adjust to changes from environmental forces.
C. the number of alternative uses or benefits that can be provided by a s
176. The value to consumers that comes from the production or alteration of a good or service
constitutes _ utility.
177. The process of taking wool off sheep and using it to make soft sweaters shows how
180. The utility that a delivery firm provides by delivering new CD releases to music stores in
time for the Tuesday release day is
A. time utility.
B. place utility.
C. possession utility.
D. market utility.
E. form utility.
181. Dick's Sporting Goods ca
116. Which of the following statements about 3M's marketing program for Post-it Flag
Highlighters is most accurate?
A. In his first attempt, Windorski, a 3M inventor, designed the Post-it Flag Highlighter in
exactly the right way to appeal to the target m
184. The value to consumers of having a good or service available where needed constitutes
185. Which of the following statements is an example of place utility?
A. Airlines allow you to print yo