1. Identify the four major characteristics of chordates.
Dorsal hollow nerve cord
2. List ways in which invertebrates compensate for not having a spine.
They have a hydrostatic skelton.
1. Hypothesize why a fungus would use spores as a mechanism for reproduction.
I think fungus use spores as a mechanism for reproduction because spores can grow into
2. How might the environment affect a fungus reproducing
Experiment 1: Functionality of the Water Column
(2) 100 mL Beakers
Ranunculus root Digital Slide Images
15 - 20 Drops Red Dye
Tilia Stem Digital Slide Images
*Bowl (Large enough to fit two pieces
of celery flat on the bott
1. When did vascular plants evolve? How was this timeline uncovered?
Vascular plants evolved around 425 MYA and were discovered through fossils in
Silurian period. The comparison between vascular plants and green algae revealed
1. Identify one reproductive difference between sporophytes and gametophytes.
Sporophye usually reproduces asexually, and gametophye usually reproduces sexually.
2. How do gymnosperms vary from other seed-forming plants?
The difference b
1. Hypothesize what type of environments make being autotrophic, heterotrophic or
mixotrophic an advantage to a protist.
I think the best environment for a protist that is autotropic, heterotrophic, or mixotrophic
would be an environment
BIOLOGY 354, Ecology and the Environment
Fall 2017 Syllabus
10/25 through Final
Jeremy Long, Ph.D.
Chun-Ta Lai, Ph.D.
Appointments by email only.
Review Worksheet for Exam 1
What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy? Give examples of each.
What is the first law of thermodynamics?
What is the second law of thermodynamics?
How do the laws of thermodynamics relate to living organisms
The Nervous System
the nervous system
central nervous system
peripheral nervous system
cell body housing
nodes of Ranvier
1.Our arm is homologous with
A whale flipper and a bird wing
2.All organisms share the same genetic code. This commonality is evidence that
All organisms are descended from a common ancestor
3.Different species of anteaters in Africa, America and Australi
WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED STUDYING THIS LECTURE TOPIC, YOU
SHOULD BE ABLE TO:
1. In an experiment; the experimental group.
Is identical to the control group except for the variable tested
2. The chemical bonds in the gasoline in a cars gas tank illustrate _; while the
movement of the car along the highway illustrates _.
Chapter 4: How Cells are put Together
Know the function of organelles and if the structures are found in prokaryotic cells and in
eukaryotic cells and in plants or animals. See table at the end of chp. 4 notes.
Thanksgiving Genetics Assignment
Due in lab the week of 9 Dec.
Name: Brett Robinson
Have a great Thanksgiving break!
For this assignment you will observe members of your family to determine if they are
dominant or recessive for the following trai
What is Science?
Science is a way of thinking much
more than it is a body of knowledge.
Science is a Powerful and Important
Influence on Humanity
CAT scan or CT scan.
Laboratory #10 The Cardiovascular system
Exercise #1: Pulse Rate and Exercise
The circulatory system functions to deliver oxygen and nutrients to tissues for growth and
metabolism, and to remove metabolic wastes. The heart pumps blood through
Stem Cell Research
By Brett Robinson, Michael Pettit,
Matt Christensen, & Jackson Ryan
What are Stem Cells?
Differentiated v Undifferentiated
Two Different Types
Two Properties of Stem Cells
Different types of Potency
What are Embryonic Stem
Bio Exam Review 2
1. Your arm is homologous with
Whale Flipper and bird wings
1. All organisms share the ssme genetic code. This commonality is evidence that
All organisms are descendants drom common ancestor
2. Different species of anteaters in Africa ha
1. Digestion is the chemical and mechanical breakdown of food into small molecules, while
absorption is the uptake of these small molecules by of the bodys cells.
2. Virus-infected body cells are targets of T cells.
3. In human lungs, gas exchange occurs
Extra Credit Biology Video Essay Questions
Genetically Modified Crops are plants used in agriculture, where the DNA has been
modified using genetic engineering techniques. Examples range from dise
The gas a car has in its tank is _ and the gas it uses to move is _
Potential and Kinetic
Which is the first explanation of an educated guess?
The reactions of the Calvin Cycle dont occur at night. Why?
The calvin cycle depends on products from