ragtime- late nineteenth century piano style created by african americans,
characterized by highly syncopated melodies
Jazz- a musical style c
Has no key points
P 4: this young man is listening to music on his MP3 player and using his laptop.
A melody is the line, or tune, in music.
P 11: lin
1. In what country did Spotify first begin?
a. It began in Sweden in 2008
2. How much money did zoe keating get from Pandora after her song had been played 1.5
a. she earned $1,652.74
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert
4. Patronage- sponsorship of an artist or a musician, historically by a member of the wealthy
or ruling classes
5. Theme- melodic idea used as a basic building block in t
Impressionism- a French movement developed by painters.
Impressionistic painter-vague blurry images intended to capture an expression of the subject
Impressionistic composer- exotic scales, unresolved dissonance, parallel chords, rich orchestral
The components of opera
o Large-scale musical drama (vocal genera)
Da capo aria
The spread of opera
Ruben Zacarias Learning Module 3
1. Who is the inventor of the piano, and who did he work for?
a. Bartolomeo Cristofori, Prince Ferdinand de Medici
2. Around what year was the piano invented? So that would have put its invention
during which musical style
Q: What exactly does the RIAA do? Who does the organization represent?
The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is the trade organization that supports
and promotes the creative and financial vitality of the major music comp
Three Performing Rights Organizations
An overview of ASCAP, BMI and SESAC
(Mostly from http:/blog.songtrust.com/songwriting-tips/pros-whats-the-difference/ )
Ever wondered about Americas three major PROs (Performing Rights Organization) ASCAP,
BMI, and SE
2. Monody- New style featuring solo song with instrumental accompaniment
3. Basso continuo- continuous bass
4. Figured bass- independent bass line that often includes numerals indicating the harmony
5. Overture- an instrumental number heard a
Review for exam 5
What is the date range for the Romantic Period (19th Century)
What instruments are invented? How are brass instruments improved?
Piccolo, English horn, Contrabassoon
How is the 19th century orchestra different from classica