1.1 Dimensional Analysis/Units
1) A rectangular garden is 25 feet by 100 feet. Find the area of the lot in square
2) It takes 2 minutes to fill a 10-gallon gas tank.
a) Find the fill rate in gallons per second.
b) Find the fill rate in cubic meter
2.1 Two-Dimensional Translational Motion
In a local pub, a customer slides an empty beer mug down the bar counter for a
refill. The bartender is distracted and doesnt see the mug, which slides off the
counter and strikes the floor a distance d from the
1) A force applied to an object of mass m1 gives it an acceleration of 3 m/s2. The
same force applied to an object of mass m2 gives it an acceleration of 2 m/s2.
a) Find the ratio of the masses.
b) If the two masses are combined and acted upon by the same
For many years, Colonel John Stapp, USAF, held the worlds land speed record.
In 1954, he rode a rocket-propelled sled that reached a top speed of 632 mph.
The sled was brought to rest in 1.4 seconds. Find (a) the acceleration Stapp
experienced and (b)
1.3 One-Dimensional Translational Motion
The position versus time plot of an object moving along the x-axis is shown in
Figure 1.3.1. Find the average velocity of the object in the time intervals (a) 0
to 2 s, (b) 0 to 4 s, (c) 2 s to 4 s, (d) 4 s to 7
1) A child is dragging a 20-kg box across a rough floor at a constant speed by
means of a rope. He pulls on the rope with 35 N of force and the friction force
acting on the box is 20 N.
a) What angle does the rope make with the horizontal?
b) Find the siz
1) A particle is released at the top of a track and slides without friction around the
loop in Figure 3.4.1.
a) Find its speed at the top of the loop.
b) What is the minimum launch height so that it just makes it around the loop?
2) A 250-gram ball is pla
1) The approximate force versus time curve for a ball struck by a bat is shown in
Figure 3.5.1. Use the plot to find (a) the impulse delivered to the ball and (b)
the average force exerted on the ball.
2) A 1-kg ball hits a wall at 10 m/s. It bounces stra
1) A block with a mass of 2.5 kg is pushed 2.2 meters along a smooth horizontal
table by a constant force of 16 Newtons directed 25 below the horizontal.
Friction is negligible. Find the work done by (a) the pushing force, (b) the
normal force, and (c) th
1) Two objects attract each other with a gravitational force of 10-8 N when they are
separated by 20 cm. The sum of their masses is 5 kg. Find the mass of each
2) On the way to the Moon, the Apollo astronauts reached a point where the
Earths and M