A double slit pattern is formed on a wall that is 2 m from the slits with 589-nm
light. The tenth interference minimum appears 7.26 mm from the central
maximum. Find the spacing of the slits.
Two parallel slits are separated by 0.25 mm and illuminat
1) The following frequencies are for different types of electromagnetic radiation.
Find the free-space wavelengths and the types of radiation. (a) 100 MHz (b)
480 THz (b) 2 GHz (d) 2x1020 Hz
2) A typical He-Ne laser emits 10 mW of power in a red beam with
1) He-Ne laser light (632.8 nm wavelength) is sent through a 0.3-mm wide slit.
How wide is the central diffraction peak on a screen that is 1 meter from the
2) A screen is placed 50 cm from a single slit. Light at 690 nm is sent through the
A certain projector uses a single positive lens. An object that is 24 mm tall is to
have its image projected onto a 1.8-meter tall screen so that the image fills the
screen. The distance between the screen and the object is 3 meters. (a) Find the
1) Linear-polarized light hits a single polarizer with its electric field parallel to the
polarizers transmission axis. Through what angle should the polarizer be
rotated so that the intensity is reduced by a factor of (a) 3, (b) 5, and (c) 10?
2) The cri
1) X-rays with a wavelength of 120 pm are used in a Compton scattering
experiment. (a) Find the wavelengths of the x-rays scattered at angles of 30,
90, 150, and 180. (b) Find the energy of the scattered electron in each case.
(c) Which of these angles re
1) Two jets of particles are ejected from the center of a radio galaxy in opposite
directions. Both jets move at 0.75c relative to the galaxy. Determine the speed
of one jet relative to the other one.
2) A Klingon spacecraft moves away from Earth at 0.80c
1) A radioactive sample contains 1015 atoms and has an activity of 6x1011 Bq.
What is its half-life?
2) A radioactive sample is prepared with an initial activity of 10 mCi. Four hours
later, its activity is 8 mCi. (a) Find the decay constant and half-life
1) How many sets of quantum numbers are possible for a hydrogen atom for
which (a) n=1 and (b) n=3? Do this by listing all possible sets. Do your
answers agree with the rule that there are 2n2 states for a shell with quantum
2) The carbon dioxid
1) Find the critical angle for 589-nm light in the following materials if they are
surrounded by air: (a) diamond (n = 2.419), (b) fused quartz (n = 1.458), and
(c) ice (n = 1.309).
2) A small light fixture at the bottom of a fountain is 50 centimeters be