1. The prostate gland:
A. Serves no known reproductive function in men
B. Is located posterior to Cowper's gland
C. Secretes alkaline fluid aiding life of sperm
D. Is influential in return of the penis to a flaccid state
E. Contains the seminiferous tubul
1. About how many ovarian (Graafian) follicles reach maturity in a healthy young
woman, in the course of a year?
A. One if she becomes pregnant, none if she does not
B. About 12 if she does not become pregnant
C. A highly variable number depending upon se
1. The largest divisions of the large intestine are the:
A. cecum, sigmoid and rectum
B. ascending, transverse, and descending colons
C. cecum, colon, rectum
D. descending, sigmoid, cecum
2. The rate of emptying of the gastric content is determined by
1. Bile salts aid the absorption of a group of substances called _?_ vitamins.
A. fat-soluble. B. vitamin-soluble C. water-soluble D. insoluble
2. A substance inhibiting the motility of the stomach is :
A. excess fat B. secretin C. gastrin D. bile E. insu
1. Which of these prevents food from moving back into the small intestine once it
has entered the large intestine?
A. pyloric valve
B. ileocecal valve
C. tricuspid valve
D. pyloric sphincter
E. none of the above
2. Which structure attaches the liver to th
1. The middle portion of the small intestine is the
2. An intestinal hormone that stimulates the pancreas to release a watery
secretion that is high in bicarbonate ion is
1. Which of these is false about "gastric juice"?
A. Is highly acidic because of its HCL content.
B. Contains the intrinsic factor for absorption of vitamin B12.
C. Is controlled in part by a hormone called gastrin.
D. Becomes completely neutralized in th
1. If an incision has to be made in the small intestine to remove an obstruction,
the first layer of tissue to be cut into is the
2. Which of the following lists digestive organs in the order that food ma
1. Name the membrane that does NOT belong with the others in the list.
A. mesentery B. frenulum c. greater omentum D. parietal peritoneum
2. Which of these is literally a food chute and has no digestive or absorptive
function of its own?
A. colon B. haust
1. -?- are received in the organ just distal to the stomach. All of these are -?-involved in digestion of our meat.
A. amylase, lipase, trypsinogen - hormones
B. sucrase, polypeptidase, protease - precursors
C. lipase, pancreatic amylase, bile - enzymes