Chapter 1 Study Guide
What is the focus of multicultural health, and why is it important?
2. Is race a biological or social construct? Why is race important?
3. What is the difference between ethnicity and culture? What is the difference betwee
Chapter 2 Study Guide
Explain the two overarching theories about the causes of illness.
2. Explain the two overarching systems of care in the United States and their differences.
3. What does worldview mean? Provide examples of why it is import
Chapter 4 Study Guide
Provide examples of how religion shapes health behaviors and the rationale behind them.
2. Explain some of the positive and negative effects religion can have on health outcomes.
3. Provide examples of medical decisions th
Chapter 5 Study Guide
For the mandatory cultural competence standards, discuss policies a hospital could create to
comply with those standards.
2. Choose three ethical principles and discuss home a health care provider could design his or her
Chapter 6 Study Guide
What are the concepts of the Health Belief Model and PRECEDE-PROCEED?
2. What is health communication?
3. What are some issues to consider when using written communication?
4. How can you check the reading level of a docum
Chapter 7 Study Guide
Explain the terms Hispanic and Latino and the reasons why they not considered to be a
2. Provide an overview of the history of Hispanics in the United States.
3. Explain the socioeconomic conditions of Hispanics in t
Chapter 9 Study Guide
1. Explain the history of African Americans in the United States.
2. Provide an overview of African Americans socioeconomic situation.
3. Why is there a general mistrust by African Americans in the medical system?
4. What are
Chapter 8 Study Guide
1. Describe the histories of American Indians and Alaska Natives in the United States
2. According to American Indian and Alaska Native beliefs, how is illness caused?
3. What are sweat lodges, talking circles, and medicine w
Chapter 10 Study Guide
1. Discuss Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders history in the United States and the influence it
has had on their health.
2. What cultural influences impact the health of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders?
3. Discuss t
Chapter 13 Study Guide
1. List the six priority areas for eliminating health disparities.
2. Describe at least six strategies for reducing or eliminating health disparities.
Chapter 11 Study Guide
1. Describe3 the health and illness beliefs of the Amish and Roma Americans.
2. Prepare three recommendations to provide culturally competent care for a clinic that deals with
Amish or Roma American clients.
3. Describe how
Chapter 12 Study Guide
1. Describe three roadblocks to accessing health care that are encountered by the LGBT
community and migrant farmworkers.
2. Prepare three cultural competence recommendations for a clinic that provides services to
Chapter 3 Study Guide
Describe the advantages and disadvantages of three of the CAM modalities discussed in this
2. Discuss how meditation could be used in Western health care practice.
3. Describe the relationship between ethnic cultu