1. How many calories of heat are required to change 1 gram of ice at 0C to liquid
water at 0C?
Answer- 80 calories
2. How many calories of heat are required to change 1 gram of water at 100C to 1
gram of steam at 100C?
Answer- 540 calories
3. How many cal
Problem Set Seven
1. You wish to heat 30 kg of water from 60C to 80C. How many kcal of heat are
necessary to do this? To how many kJ does this correspond?
1 kJ = 0.24 kcal
2. You submerge 100 grams of steel in 200 grams of water. If the
Yoon, H., Yeung, K. M., Umansky, V., & Ham, D. (2012). A Newtonian approach to
extraordinarily strong negative refraction. Nature, 488(7409), 65-69.
The scientists of the 16th and 17th century had to prove their work in order for it to be accepted by the
church. Many of Galileos theories defied the churchs theories on topics like color, the placement of the
planets, and the motions of gravity. During
William Thomson, 1st Baron Kelvin (6/26/1824-12/17/1907), was an Irish and British mathematical
physicist and engineer who were born in Belfast. Thomson did important work at the University of
Glasgow in the mathematical analysis of electricity and formul
Problem Set Two
1. At a track meet, a runner runs the 100 meter dash in 15 seconds. What was the runners
average speed? 100/15=6.67 meters per seconds
2. A jogger jogs around a circular track with a diameter of 300 meters in 13 minutes. What was