Discussion Questions 1: Chapter 1, Who Built America? and Bartolome De Las
Casas, In Defense of the Indians (1550); C.L.R. James The Old United States,
1) What role does labor play in the early settlement of Europeans in the
2) How did th
Model Essay: Development of the Labor Movement 1
Explain the significance of Bacons Rebellion.
Bacons Rebellion of 1676 was a transformative moment in early American
history. The event is significant because it showed the possibilities of class-based
Focus Questions 4: Chapter 4-5, Who Built America?
1) Explain the popular origins of the American Revolution. (or: What led many
Americans in the 1770s to embrace revolution?)
2) What was the status of slavery during the American Revolution?
Joleen Martis Shawn Taylor 37:575:201:01 09/30/09 The Pride of Colonists and the Hardships of Workers The wind blew Europeans onto North America where they had hopes to find gold and lands of milk and honey. However what the European settlers found was in
Development of the Labor Movement
The below model essay represents one way to answer the posed question in a brief essay
format. Note how the essay provides some context for the question, backs it up with facts taken
from the textbook (or othe
Focus Questions 3: Chapter 3 Who Built America? and selected reading
1) What role did slavery play in the Northern colonies? How did the life
conditions for slaves in the North differ from those in the South?
2) How did Northern society differ from the So