Southwest Airlines (A)
CASE ASSIGNMENT QUESTIONS
1. What was the nature of the marketing problem facing SWA in June 1971?
2. What do consumers look for in selecting an airline and what is the purchase decision process?
3. What segmentation exists and to w
Final Review Notes
Saturday, December 11, 2010 4:32 PM
- Utility: want- satisfying power of a good or service Create time utility by making a good or service available when consumers want to purchase it Create place utility by making a product available i
February 16, 18: Duties to Bondholders
Case: Marriott Corporation (A)
Duty to bondholders
1. Why is Marriott management proposing Project Chariot? What is it trying to accomplish?
2. What is the likely impact of
April 20, 22, 27: Doing Business in China
Case: GlaxoSmithKline in China (A)
1. Why have four GSK employees been detained on suspicion of bribery?
2. Has GSK been treated unfairly?
3. Assess GSKs response so far.
B usiness Review 70 questions t/f and multiple choice In the u.s economy, _ are considered ther reward for the r isk of entering business A partnership is When google opened offices in Tokyo, London and Sydney, they were utilizing _ by relocation business
STATISTICAL METHODS IN BUSINESS
Fall 2015 term
Instructor: Kemal Gursoy.
Office hour: Wednesday, from 3:30 pm to 4:30 pm.
Office: 100 Rockafeller Road, Room 5146.
e-mail: [email protected]
Classes: Monday and Wednesday; from
Intro to Business Journal: Thursdays page article on something- analysis Cite the article (Forbes/ WSJ- save copy of article McDonalds stock went up 18% because of the dollar menu Google added video chat/ call via computer (Gmail talk) Hybrid sales fall-
*Golding-lord of the Files
1. Author takes a stances that humanity is corrupt, based on the idea of
something like original sin
in particular SELF-INTERESTD based on the power of INDIVIDUALS.
Arguments against universality of human rights
- National Sovereignty
The nation state is the basic unit of government
The leader of every country and the govt of every country gets to determine what goes
on in that country
- Stages of
How has economics changed over
(how has business changed over
What impact has this change made
What was the historical role of
What is the new role of
Can we have a free-ma
BAD / GOOD
How do we define what is
How do we define what is
What is Institutional Cruelty
what can be done about it?
Think about the business
Seven Reading Excerpts (Ch
1. Deontological Ethics focused on the
actionnot the outcome.
Right acts are not determined by
consequences of actions but by the
instrinsic quality of the act itself.
Two classes of Deontological Eth
What is Egoism?
- Self-interest are the values to a good life
- Risk of failure and Pain
WALL STREET (Gordon Gekko)
Greed gave america power
America has become a 2nd rate power
Free market = America top industrial tower
Wall Street: Money Never Sleels -
1. What is egoism?
2. How does egoism differ from
3. What are the benefits of Egoism?
4. What are the challenges of
What are Virtue Ethics?
Agent based theory
What type of person should I
1. Alisdair MacIntyre
An acquired human quality
You become virtuous by acting virtuous -
Ethics of Care
Carol Gilligan v.
Kohlberg Moral Development Theory
How do we
Testing Boys 10-16 years old
Testing Boys 10-16 years old
Aristotelian ethics and servant leadership
- Virtue based ethics do not work all of the time
- Virtues high morals that society can all somewhat agree on
o AGENT BASED THEOTY What type of person should I become?
o Virtue is An acquire
What is Relativism?
What is relativism?
Different cultures have different
Relativism claims that ethics are
relative to individuals, groups,
cultures and societies
Relativism resists universal moral
Chapter 4 Pojman Book
What is Utilitarianism?
What are the positive aspects?
What are the negative aspects?
Seaman Holmes and Longboat
of the William Brown
Defense of Utilitariansim
Part I: The Nature of Morality Good and Evil
Morals individual | Ethics business governed systems
We can use the two terms interchangeably
William Golding - Lord of the Flies
A group of schoolboys are stranded on an island without any a
KITCHEN BEST QUESTIONS
1. What are typical integrity management challenges faced by an SME
doing cross-border business?
2. Kitchen Best has a culture of offering entertainment and kickbacks to
potential clients and business partners. What legal risks does
Business Ethics: Section 01
Blood Bananas Case
What do you think were the root causes for Chiquitas actions in Colombia that ultimately led to
One root cause was the culture that was created in Colombia. Terrorist groups like
What is the
Morality / Ethics?
Morality and Ethics
Sometimes Morals = Personal Actions
(Dos and Donts)
Sometimes Ethics = System of
Approved Personal Actions =
Approved Social Actions
IN THIS COURSE WE USE
The Market Capitalism on Business-Government Relationship: Ten Big Ideas!
1. Free Markets Lead to the Greatest Overall
a. Market Capitalism: Very limited role of gov.; central problem is scarcity
b. Limited labor, capital, natural resources; need to optim
Sex-Role Socialization and Occupational Segregation: An Exploratory Investigation
Author(s): Mary E. Corcoran and Paul N. Courant
Source: Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, Vol. 9, No. 3 (Spring, 1987), pp. 330-346
Published by: M.E. Sharpe, Inc.
Sons, Daughters, and the Risk of Marital Disruption
Author(s): S. Philip Morgan, Diane N. Lye and Gretchen A. Condran
Source: American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 94, No. 1 (Jul., 1988), pp. 110-129
Published by: The University of Chicago
Corcoran and Courant, Sex-Role Socialization and Occupational Segregation
1. Main findings and conclusions
A. presence of brothers has negative effect on schooling of sisters (for nonblack girls)
B. mothers occupation (esp. its sex-typicality) affects dau