Vocabulary for Life of Primates
Natural selection: variation among individuals in a species
Advantageous traits improve an individual chance of survival
Traits are inherited
With greater reproductive success, advantageous traits become more common
Intro to Primates Study Guide
Resource Holding Potential: access to resources, determined by rank (the social
relationship between two individuals based on a competitive difference in
resource holding potential)
Dominant: a higher ranking ind
Exam 2 Material
What is the intermembral index?
- The relative size of arms to legs ratio
- Low is hindlimb emphasis while high is fore limb emphasis
What are six different types of locomotion?
- Vertical clinging and leaping
What two things was Darwin trying to explain?
- Diversity of life
- Henry W. Bates
- Harmless species mimic dangerous species patterns
- Natural Theology (50 years prior to Darwins book)
- certain nat
What is the sexual swelling that occurs in baboons?
- It is when the perineum fills with blood and water and then inverts outward when the
female is not pregnant or lactating
- It includes gradual inflation but rapid deflation and roughly signals ovulatio
Epistemology, the study of questions that can be answered
Ontology, the study of the knowing
Evolution, is change through time, have organisms, species populations
changed over time.
Observable-fossils, bones etc.
Humans are apes by definitio