Reading Questions: 1/24/2011 Typology of Responses
This chapter summarizes the variety of responses available to us to mitigate our global
environmental problems. The tools discusses briefly in this chapter will be the focus of our
class for the rest of t
01/31/2011 Reading Questions
Chapter 28: Synthesis
1. Its important to think about how we assess our ecosystems and human well-being. What are
some the measures of human well-being that the authors use? What are some of the measures of
ecosystem change th
1. Who is interviewed? What kinds of organizations are they associated with?
2. What kinds of proof are they offering that we have global environmental problems what
claims are they making? What are they using to support tho
02 07 2011 Reading Questions
Bassett & Zueli
This article thinks about how environmental problems get defined the way they do. It argues that
powerful actors (such as the World Bank and United Nations) set up processes and research that
lead to answers th
Note taking Guide 2/7/2011
1. What is local or traditional environmental knowledge?
2. What is a regional discursive formation?
Provide two examples of regional discursive formations?
4. What are three ways that local knowledges are being incorporated
02 14 2011 Reading Questions
1. Be able to explain the difference between an argument about facts and an argument about
2. Identify and explain three approaches to international environmental law as described by
a) Doctrinal approach:
02 21 2011 Reading Questions
Interest Based explanation of International Environmental Policy
1. What are the two main variables that predict national adoption of international treaties?
2. What are the four categories that nations fall into for their sup
Reading Questions for 03/07/2011
1. Why doesnt Starbucks switch full on to FTC coffee? (p.200-203)
2. What is co-optation and how has Starbucks done it with fair trade?
3. What are the two current camps or groups in fair trade and how do their moti
Reading Questions 3/21/2011
Note: REDD = reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation
Note: PES = Payment for Environmental Services
Note: ETS = Emissions Trading Schemes
1. What is REDD and why is it being undertaken?
2. What are th
Reading Questions for 04/04/2011
1) What are materialist and post materialist values?
2) What are the two factors that he finds to predict high levels of environmental concern?
Stevenson and Dillon:
1. What are the four contexts they consider f