a. General Long-term Liabilities
(1) Disclosure of Long-term Debt. The report contains evidences that the government
has general long-term liabilities. Note 9contains a list of outstanding tax-supported debt
issues; capital lease obligations; claims, judg
BALTIMORE AND OHIO RAILROAD
1. What early steps were taken at B&O to reduce agency problem? What was the impact
of large investment from multiple external sources on B&O, its operations, and its
In its state incorpo
Compensation, audit, nomination
Made up of the board members, representation of the board
Rights of the shareholder
Elect the board of the directors
Sue the company if they are unhappy with the actions of management or Board
To express their co
QUESTIONS ON WORLD COM
1. What are the pressures that lead executives and managers to cook the books? Explain
the problems created by acquisitions.
As a company that had existed through the economic recession/ internet bubble burst,
DID CORPORATE GOVERNANCE FAIL AT SWISSAIR
1. What factors were responsible for bringing down the Swissair?
What role national pride and politics played in it?
Due to the liberalization and deregulation of the avi
NOTE ON CORPORATE GOVERNANCE SYSTEMS:
THE UNITED STATES, JAPAN, AND GERMANY
1. Explain the distinguishing features of the corporate governance system in
Board of directors elected by shareholders
CEO select t
WASTE MANAGEMENT CORPORATION.
1. Do the special charges of 1991-1996 tell us something about WMXs business strategies
and financial position? How would you interpret these special charges in evaluating
THE ENRON COLLAPSE
1. What is mark-to-market accounting? How was it used by Enron? What are its
implications for Enron?
It was a method used Enron, specifically Jeffrey Skilling that would hide the financial
losses of the trading
PETROCHINA: INTERNATIONAL CORPORATE GOVERNANCE WITH
1. Why does corporate governance matter in Chinas capital market?
To become publicly listed in the New York Stock Exchange and Stock Exchange of Hong
QUESTIONS ON CARTER HAWLEY HALE
1. Why firms repurchase shares? What was CHHs objective in repurchasing their own
shares and did they achieve their objective?
The shares of common stock represent small stakes of ownership of the issuing com
Do Higher Disclosures Improve Firm Performance?
One of the most distinguishing features of U.S. business law is the stringent requirements
imposed on firms that are publicly traded for ongoing disclosure. This