Physics 602 Term Paper - Due May 4, 2010
Instead of a nal exam in 602, I would like you to learn a little bit about a topic not covered
in class, and write a short paper about it. I do not want an elaborate paper with lots of
equations or detailed descrip
1. Redo items 2 and 3 of HW2 (Feb. 5). Note that HW2 was the rst actual problem set,
and that item 1 of this set was reading only.
Notes on problem 2: Remember Ann = 0; keep the exponential form and sum the
geometric series; for the case 0, sca
Homework IV - version of Feb. 20
1. Do problem 5(a) on page 113 of Sander.
2. (a) Write the expression for the Debye-Waller e2W for a system of dimensionality
d. Evaluate, using the Debye model, for d = 1 and d = 2. Discuss the meaning
of your results, in
1. Read Sander pp. 92-102.
2. Consider a one dimensional crystal containing atoms of mass M and lattice constant a.
Take the force constant matrix Anm to be given for n = m by
Anm = Ke
where K and are positive constants. Calculate the
1. Consider a two dimensional crystal containing identical atoms of mass M , which occupy
the sites of square lattice of side a in the absence of phonon excitations. Let the sides
of the square unit cell be parallel to the x and y directions