Attitudes and Attitude Changes:
Influencing Thoughts and Feelings
By persuading others,
we convince ourselves.
Summary for cumulative part of final (1-11) Topics for the most recent chapters are in
chapter folders on Sakai
Self-esteem-the need to feel good but ourselves
Suffering and self-justification
Expectation about the social world
Lecture 9 Brain imaging
1. What are the two types of CVA? What are two possible (general) causes of
ischemic CVA? What are the symptoms of CVAs?
2. What is an aneurysm? What do aneuryms in the brain put you at risk for?
3. What i
Lectures 7 Brain anatomy, general brain damage I
1. What is general is the function of the limbic system?
2. Be able to identify on a diagram the amygdala, hippocampus, hypothalamus, pituitary
gland, the cingulate gyrus
3. What ty
Lecture 6 Anatomy
1. Where do the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system nerves exit the
2. What is the function of the sympathetic nervous system? What is the function of
the parasympathetic nervous syst
Lecture 5 spinal cord/nerves, cranial nerves,
1. Be able to describe the blood supply to the brain and the Circle of Willis (identify
on picture), including: internal carotid arteries, vertebral arteries, basilar artery,
Lecture 4 Support structures, spinal cord 1
What is lissencephaly (or agyria)? What is thought to be the process that is disturbed in
1. Name the 7 CNS structures caudal to rostral.
2. Which structure in
Class 2 Terms, historical issues
1. What is trephination or trepanning, why is it done? What cultures was it known
2. What were the two theories about the structure where behavior originates? What
theory was held by Hippocrates? Arist
Cognitive changes impact;
Families 1 1, 2014
Exam next time: material through chapter
3 review questions i.e. all of cognitive stuff.
VT1 is due tonight
VT 1 grading will take at least a week
VT 2 is up
Remainder cognitive changes &
Cognitive & brain changes
7 September 24, 2014
Review questions up through Monday
Clicker response files up through Monday
Remember VT1 is due Oct. 1
Changes in Cognition (Thinking)
Main advantages over childrens
14 October 22, 2014
VT2 grade visible?
WHY are kids in school?
The proportion of 14to 17-year-old
population enrolled in
Today, nearly 95%
Brain damage 2
8 September 29, 2014
Quiz 3 is up
Review qs & clicker response files up to
Contra Coup Effect
Coup: brain damage at
site of blow
cause a hematoma)
Edema and the
2 September 8, 2014
Set clicker channel to 27
Where does behavior originate?
Galen - humors
Lectures 8 General brain damage 2
1. What are coup and contra-coup in TBI? When in general do you get the one, rather than
2. What is diffuse axonal injury? How does it cause problems?
3. What are edema and hematoma,
Class 3 Development, parts, meninges
What is a myelin sheath? What difference does it make if an axon is
myelinated or not?
What are the types of glial cells? What is the function of microglia,
astrocytes, oligodendrocytes, and Schwann
Somatosensation, Parietal lobes
17 November 3, 2014
Exam next Monday
Nociception: perception of unpleasant
stimuli pain & temperature
Hapsis: perception of objects using fine
touch & pressure rece
Sensory systems, Vision
12 October 15, 2014
Thank you for including the class you are
in when you email me.
Quiz 5 up Friday (10/17)
Review questions up to date by Friday
Big/little event organized by Psych Alliance