Thursday, October 27, 2016
Hard Rock and Heavy Metal
Hard Rock vs Heavy Metal
- To some extent, the difference is a matter of degree of aggression, volume,
distortion, and other qualities that make rock music "heavy".
- Black Sabbath and L
Motown Records "Hitsville USA"
- Berry Gordy, founder, began career as songwriter and producer
- The first African-American owned record label to successfully sell large numbers
of black records to white America
- The Funk Brothers- House
Thursday, October 20, 2016
- Grew up in Seattle, short stint in the army
- Played with Little Richard, B.B. King, James Brown and the Isley Brothers before
- 1966- Formed the experience, initial success in Englan
Thursday, October 6, 2016
The Beatles "A day in The Life"
- Last song on Sgt. Pepper
- Surreal lyrics taken loosely from newspaper
- Orchestral interludes connect various sections
Lennon's "I read the news"
McCartney's "Woke up"
- Famous e
Tuesday, October 4, 2016
John Lennon- guitar, vocals, etc.
Paul McCartney- Bass, vocals, etc.
George Harrison- Electric guitar, vocals, etc.
Ringo Starr- Drums, vocals, etc.
Musical Influences on the Beatles
- American rockabilly music
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
- Quintessential hippie band
- Began Playing at parties featuring "the Kool-Aid acid test"
- Jerry Garcia, singer/lead guitarist
- Lived communally in the Haight
- The Dead's music inspired today's j
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Chicago "Does anybody really know what time it is?"
- Successful and lengthy career
- Influenced by Jazz music and R&B horn bands
Unusual for rock band to have horn section in this era
- Distinctive horn parts ar
Thursday, November 3, 2016
- Unprecedented amounts of money were being generated by rock musicians
Rock becomes big business
Reflected in extravagant touring/lifestyles
Jet planes, limos, entourages, drugs, etc.