ROCKS AND MINERALS A FIRST LOOK
1. An atom is the smallest possible unit of an element that retains all the chemical characteristics of the element.
The atom consists of a central nucleus and one or more negatively charged ele
1. An earthquake occurs when movement along a fault zone results in a sudden release of built-up strain energy in
the lithosphere. Most earthquakes occur at plate boundaries.
2. The point of first break or movement
1. Plate tectonics refers to the existence and movement of rigid lithospheric plates over the mantles asthenosphere
and relates this activity to the large-scale movement and deformation of the earth's crust.
AN OVERVIEW OF OUR PLANETARY ENVIRONMENT
1. Most astronomers believe that the universe originated in a Big Bang about 15 to 20 billion years ago.
2. The formation of the solar system from a rotating cloud of gas and dust was e