ENGL 3318 Assignments for Week 1
Assignment on Chapter 1: Grammaticality
Question One A
Read Chapter 1 thoroughly and carefully.
Write a paragraph of 100-200 words; in this paragraph, explain the difference between Grammar
1, Grammar 2, and Grammar 3. Be
1. In the sentence Let Me refers to Tell Me which means inform the subject me when you are
free. The when in the sentence states a specific time. When meaning or implying the next
time youre free. When is a spec
Law, Ethics, and Social Responsibility-We Give Thanks
The law that I am the most thankful for is the Childrens Online Privacy Protection Act of
1998. This law prohibits internet operators from collecting information from children unde
Bonus Exercise in Etymology
What do venereal and the Italian word for Friday have in common?
The origin of venereal is from late Middle English from Latin venerus (from venus, venersexual love) + -al. The orgin for the Italian wo
1. Idiom is a combination of words, a set phrase, whose meaning cannot be predicted from the
meaning of the individual words.
a. Jake asked her to tell him a joke, but she couldnt think of one off the top of
Theta Roles Assignment
1. The theta roles in this sentence would be John as the agent and window as the theme or
experiencer. Brick is the instrument of the verb.
2. The theta roles in this sentence would be police as
Exercise on Identifying Nouns
1. The first noun in this passage from Emerson that I found was sentiment. Sentiment is a noun because
it ends with -ment, a typical noun-forming morpheme.
2. The second noun in this passage from Eme
The library closes at 5:00 p.m. on Sundays however, it is open until 9:00 p.m. on Saturdays.
The food at the new French restaurant is excellent and the prices are exceptionally high.
1. When dealing with the English language bilingual, in my opinion means being able to interpret
words not only in the since of one language but two. It means to generate where a word came
from in more than one lang
1. Set C is an adjective because the sentence has -er (comparative) and -est (superlative), which
makes dorf, dorfer, and dorfest adjectives.
2. Set A is a verb because the sentence has -s (third-person
Week 5 Assignment
1. Prepositions is a closed class word found in prepositions to -preceding- a noun phrase or other
nominal. Particles combine with a verb to produce a phrasal verb can be thought of as an
alternative function th
Week 4 Assignment
1. Case refers to the different tasks a noun or pronoun perform in different sentences. Number
refers to if that particular pronoun is singular or plural. Gender refers to if the pronoun or noun
is in its mascul
Week 3 Assignment
1. A functional shift refers to the shifting of the function of a word. An example would be Joshua,
can you please make the bed? Another example would be Chad buttered the toast.
2. In chapter 12 we read about s
Week 11 Assignment
a) The word size came to be borrowed from the French by using assise ordance or the
shortening of assize. The commonality in the words are the noun use of feminine of asis.
b) The word royal came to be b
Week 7 Assignment
1. All night, last week, every day, and this weekend are all noun phrases that are used as a time
2. The most common form of a verb in an adverbial role is the infinitive, the base form of the verb
Week 6 Assignment
1. The minimum length for a verb string are one word verb strings.
2. When using have + en or be + ing the main verb I not optional.
3. In the -ed form you have to add T, tense. T represents either past or prese
English 3318 Assignments for Week 1
In my opinion, Grammar 1 to me would be what we know and taught already and how we put
sentences together in our own cultures and languages. Grammar 1 is like the grammar we were
taught in school, in our homes, and ling
1. Sentences that follow page 170 exercise 31
a. Running in the summertime can be a challenge because of the heat.
b. I enjoy my parenting this year.
c. I do my exercising in the evening.
d. Most people consider my i
Error Analysis Assignment
1. I seen him yesterday is incorrect because yesterday is the adjective that describes past day, therefore
the verb she be in past tense, I saw him yesterday.
2. I put on the shelf is incorrect because t