Cell Biology Exam 3; Spring 2017: Take Home Portion: 30 Points + 5 bonus points
Due: 5/6/2017, 11:00 AM
Question 1 (10 points):
Pheromones such as -factor play a crucial role in yeasts mating behavior. When -factor binds to -factor receptor (a
Study Guide, BIOL 4320
BIOL 4320, Spring 2017, Final Study Guide
You will have 2 hours to take the exam. The only thing you will be allowed to have at your desk is a pen/pencil
and a calculator. Scratch paper will be provided with the exam. If
Ch24: Cell Cycle and Mitosis
Describe the histological and biochemical hallmarks of various phases of cell cycle;
ii. Mitotic phase
2. Define mitotic i
Review sheet for Cellular Signaling, Ch 23 (9th edition)
1. Differentiate between four forms of general signaling mechanisms: Autocrine, paracrine,
endocrine and juxtracrine.
2. Describe the proposed model of signal transduction in cells (Figure 23-2)
01-01 Explain the importance of establishing credibility for business communications.
01-02 Describe how competence; caring; and character affect your credibility as a communicator.
01-03 Define and explain business ethics; c
1. _ involves dividing a market into smaller segments of buyers with distinct needs or
behaviors that might require separate marketing strategies. market segmentation
2. _ consists of arranging for a market offering to occupy a clear, distinctive, and des
1. To create successful new products, a company must _. .understand its consumers,
markets, and competitors and develop products that deliver superior value
2. Through _ a company can obtain new products by buying a whole company, a patent, or
a license t
1. The ultimate goal of the marketing process is to do which of the following? Capture value from
2. How does the new concept of marketing differ from the old concept of marketing? The new
concept focuses on the needs of the customer. / It focu
_ is the systematic collection and analysis of
publicly available information about consumers, competitors,
and developments in the marketing environment. Marketing
_ is gathering primary data by asking people
questions about their knowled
1. _ refers to setting price based on buyers' perception of value rather than on
the seller's cost.
Customer value-based pricing
2. Which of the following is a cost-oriented pricing approach?
1. Which of the following BEST describes the purpose of the customer
insights team? o create more value for customers
2. What is MIS? A marketing information system
3. Cupcakes by Cindy is attempting to gather information about its
customers in order to i
1. The role of a company's marketing intermediaries is to do which of the following?
help the company find, promote, sell, and distribute products
2. The demographic, economic, natural, technological, political, and cultural forces that
affect a company's
1. The production concept is _.the process by which
companies create value for customers and build strong
customer relationships in order to capture value from
customers in return
2. Customer lifetime value_ is the value of the entire
stream of purchases
_ means that services cannot be stored for later
sale or use. Service perishability
_ means that the quality of services may vary
greatly depending on who provides them and when, where,
and how they are provided. Service variability
The _ is the physical environment and the natural
resources that are needed as inputs by marketers or that are
affected by marketing activities. Natural environment
The Lanham Trademark Act _. Protects and regulates
distinctive brand names and trademarks.
_ is a descriptive thought that a person holds about
_ are part of the environment that enter the consumers
black box and produce certain responses. Economic, technological,
social, and cultural stimuli
_ is the set of basic values, perc
_ is tailoring products and marketing programs to the
needs and wants of specific individuals and local customer
_ is dividing a market into different age and life-cycle
groups. Age and life-cycle segmentation
_ is tailoring produ
In the Subaru America video, the product manager references the need to be well informed regarding
numerous aspects of the company's _, including long-term shifts in politics,
culture, and technology. Macro environment
During the economic recovery of the
1. _ refers to the practice of including ethnic themes and cross-cultural practices
within a company's mainstream. Multicultural Marketing/ Cross-cultural marketing/A
total market strategy
2. Which of the following is a social factor that influences consu
_ is a measure of the sensitivity of demand to
changes in price. price elasticity
2. _ is setting a high price for a new product to skim
maximum revenues layer by layer from the segments willing
to pay the high price; the company makes fewer but more
1. Which of the following correctly defines a product? A product is anything offered to a market
that might satisfy a need or want.
2. Which of the following is a pure tangible good?
meal at a rest
_ focuses on finding new ways to solve customer
problems and create more customer-satisfying experiences.
Customer-centered new-product development
Maturity Stage the PLC stage in which a product's sales growth slows or levels of
Style is _. A basic and d
1. Zappos creates _ for its customers by offering a wide selection, higher levels
of service, and customer-friendly return policies. Value
2. Although Zappos was not legally bound to fulfill customer orders following its pricing snafu,
failure to do so wo
Discussion Board Post
Read the following article and discuss mitosis and telomere functions as part of this discussion
Response: Telomeres are DNA stretches that are located at the end o
Discussion Board Post
"Phenotypic patterns of inheritance suggest genotypic patterns of inheritance". State one
pro and one con supported by concrete facts in your response to this statement.
Read the attached article to better inform your response to thi
The Burden of Environmental
Disease in the United States
U.S. spends over $2 trillion every year on health
World Health Organization (WHO)created profiles for the examined
countries to identify the major dise
The graph below shows the pregnancy, birth and abortion rates for the years 1976-2012. Analyze the
graph and answer the questions .following it.
Figure 3. Pregnancy, birth, and abortion rates for teenagers aged 15-19: United
List Mendels four hypotheses that he derived from his monohybrid cross experiments.
Alleles are alternative versions of genes that account for variations in inherited
For each characteristic, an organism inher
1) What is the difference between normal human cells and cancer cells in terms of chromosome
2) What are Polytene chromosomes and what makes them different from normal chromosomes?
3) Sketch a chromosom
Probability & Mendelian Genetics
1) Describe when you would use the following in genetics: the sum rule, product rule,
binomial expansion, and chi square.
2) What is a null hypothesis? You will be looking at a dihybrid cross today