Lecture Notes Section 2
Data collected in original form.
The number of times a certain value or class of values occurs.
The organization of raw data in table form with classes and frequencies.
Use the following to answer questions 1 2.
In their October 2003 issue, Consumer Reports evaluated the price and performance of 23
models of cordless phones. Computer output gives these summaries for the prices ($):
BUAL 3310 Review for Exam 4
The starting salaries of individuals with an MBA degree are normally distributed with a mean of $40,000
and a standard deviation of $5,000.
1. Refer to Exhibit 1. What is the random variable in this experiment?
Page 1 of 5
Displaying Distributions with Graphs
1. Be able to create a frequency table from a small data set.
2. Understand what information can be obtained from a frequency table.
3. Understand the purpose of a graph.
4. For the following graphs:
Describing Distributions with Numbers: Measures of Center
1. Based on the level of measurement of a variable, know the appropriate measures of center.
2. Be able to calculate and interpret the mean, median, and mode of a variable.
3. Understand whic
BUAL 2310-48 Business Analysis I Fall 2016
Instructor: Dr. Ashraf El-Houbi
Office: Galloway Business, Room 270 Tel: (409) 880-8637
email: [email protected][email protected]
Modern Business Statistics with Microsoft, 5th Editio
Page 1 of 3
Describing Distributions with Numbers Measures of Spread
1. Based on the level of measurement of a variable, know the appropriate measures of spread.
2. For a given variable, be able to calculate and interpret:
b. Quartiles (Q1,
Formula Sheet BUAL 3310 Exam 1
Width of Interval = (Max-Min)/# of classes
Median= (n+1)/2 ranked value
s 2 ( xi x ) 2
( xi ) 2
CV= ( S/ )100%
cov( x, y )
A recent issue of Fortune Magazine reported that the following companies had the lowest sales per employee
among the Fortune 500 companies.
Sales per Employee ($1000s)
The manager of a grocery store has taken a random sample of 100 customers. The average length of time
it took the customers in the sample to check out was 3.1 minutes. The population standard deviation is
known to be 0.5 minutes. We want to test
Review Exam 3 BUAL 3310
1. The probability that an employee at a company uses illegal drugs is 0.08. The probability
than an employee is male is 0.55. Assuming that these events are independent, what is
the probability that a randomly chosen employee is a
Lecture Notes Section 3
Characteristic or measure obtained from a sample
Characteristic or measure obtained from a population
Sum of all the values divided by the number of values. This can either be
a population mean
Lecture Notes Section 1
Collection of methods for planning experiments, obtaining data, and then
organizing, summarizing, presenting, analyzing, interpreting, and
Characteristic or attribute that can as
BUAL 3310-03 Business Analysis I Fall 2012
5:30 6:50 TR
H C GALLOWAY COLL OF BUSINESS 00116
Instructor: Dr. Ahmed Khago
Office Hours: TR 4:00PM-5:00PM by appointment