C HAPTER 2
Protons, Neutron s, Electrons
The elements arranged in order of increasing atomic number
Ability to conduct electricity, Ability to conduct heat, Hardness,
H igh density, not t ransparent
C HAPTER 14
1. Tempering softens metal.
2. Tempering is the process of reheating metal immediately after quenching for
t he purpose of increasing ductility or relieving stress. During the tempering
p rocess, the metal is heated to a temperature below i ts
1. List five desirable properties of copper?
Alloying, cold working, precipitation hardening, other desirable properties
such as increase ductili ty and malleability.
2. On average, what percent of copper ore is pure copper?
Copper ore gene
1. Ferrite is the name of the structure of a solid solution of steel at 1200 F that contains a
very small percentage of carbon (perhaps 0.02% ).Assume that this steel has not been
previously heat treated.
2. Cementite is the name of the structur
1. Space lattice is the organized arrangement of atoms in a crystal .
2. The most fundamental arrangement of atoms in a space lattice is the unit cell .
3. Has 9 atoms in the unit cell of a body-centered cubic space lattice .
4. Aluminum ,copper
1. I ron and carbon are two elements found in every type of steel.
2. The percentage of carbon is in the steel from 0% to approximately 2%.
3. Most steel contains more than 90% i ron.
4. As the carbon content in steel increases , does the steel
C HAPTER 1
The study of metallurgy actually explores what make
metals behave the way they do
Steel in itself is an alloy of at least carbon and iron.
Various other elements are added to obtain different performance
from the materia