200. A fixation refers to an inability to
A) sort items into categories.
B) estimate the likelihood of events.
C) view a problem from a fresh perspective.
D) search for evidence that supports our ideas.
201. Brainstorming sessions that encourage people to
94. Long before they can say words, many 6-month-old infants recognize the names of
objects. This best illustrates their emerging capacity for
A) productive language.
B) telegraphic speech.
C) receptive language.
D) outcome simulations.
95. Mentally segme
158. During a lecture, your professor says, A child learns language as he interacts with
caregivers. This generic use of the pronoun he is more likely to trigger images of males
than of females. This best illustrates the impact of
A) language on thinking.
178. A concept is a
A) mental grouping of similar objects, events, ideas, or people.
B) a method of hypothesis testing involving trial and error.
C) a best example of a particular category.
D) a simple thinking strategy for solving problems efficiently.
240. Divergent thinking involves
A) expanding the number of possible solutions to a problem.
B) estimating the likelihood of events based on their availability in memory.
C) a methodical procedure that guarantees solving a particular problem.
123. Brain scans reveal that identical twins' brains have _ gray matter volume and
_ white matter volume.
A) similar; dissimilar
B) dissimilar; similar
C) similar; similar
D) dissimilar; dissimilar
124. Today's researchers have identified many different c
22. Which statement best characterizes Howard Gardner's view of intelligence?
A) There is a single factor that can explain the pattern of specific mental abilities
B) There are multiple independent intelligences, and each must be defi
42. Psychologists use _ to assess individuals' mental aptitudes and them with those
B) reliability coefficients
C) intelligence tests
D) the g factor
43. Tests designed to predict the ability to learn new skills are called
64. The WAIS was initially created by
A) William Stern.
B) Alfred Binet.
C) Francis Galton.
D) David Wechsler.
65. In addition to an overall intelligence score, the WAIS provides separate scores for such
A) reasoning aptitude.
B) creative thinki
304. Introductory psychology students were more likely to achieve a good midterm exam
grade if prior to the exam they repeatedly practiced visual imagery that involved
A) receptive language.
B) an outcome simulation.
C) productive language.
D) a process s