As a genre, Hip-Hop has a rich history with a multitude of artists, all of whom aided in it becoming one of the most popular forms of music in the world. The cultural outpouring that resulted
from centuries of mistreatment and inequality came in t
Culture and Politics!
1. In this book, language is at the heart of cultural studies
2. The book largely draws from work in Britain,
the US, Australia and Continental Europe
3. Cultural studies has no specific referent
4. Cultural studies ha
Massey, Doreen. Space, Place and Gender. Hoboken: Wiley, 2013. Print.
Throughout the past century, the sense of place has evolved drastically. Instead of the
outdated categorization of place as a physical location, in modern times it is more ap
ORIENTALISM: Lens through which we see the world.
- Western culture has a view of the Orient that is based on a specific imagination.
- Studies, travel writing, and the colonial view of the orient popularized it in academia.
- The way we acquire knowledge
- The author is a modern
character from the Middle
- Currently, there is a cultural tendency to make author
the focal point of literature, not the ideas.
- The legal system gave rise
to the author because authors were necessary for
Adorno and Horkheimer:
- Under monopoly, all mass culture is identical. Its artificial framework becomes apparent.
- The people at the top no longer need to conceal the monopoly because it is so powerful.
- Cultural ind
HISTORICAL MATERIALISM: Connecting the production of a culture to its material conditions.
- Base: A process in which productive forces (including both products and workers) create a foundation
for a superstructure.
- Economic production shapes the
- There is debate over the term presence because it involves location and interaction
- Subjective presence-perception of being in the same physical space in which an event occurs
- Telepresence is being with another individual through technology
17 March, 2014
Concept Map Week 11
TERRITORY-The land that makes up a nation
- A nation has a discrete and definite territory-cannot share territory with another.
- This type of thinking leads to the immobility of native/indigenous peop
Theorizing Culture and Politics
COMMODITY FETISHISM: The domination of society by tangible and intangible things.
- The commodity seems trivial and obvious, but it is complex and full of subtleties.
- The principle is