- Chapter Four!
- India becoming the bank ofce of the world code writing, accounting, etc.!
- White collar focus, helped by the spread of English language in India!
- Offshoring/outsourcing main method of job creation in India ! companies moving
Farming and its Impacts on Globalization !
o FARMING: take advantage of countryside: 60% of Indians live there!
! INTERNATIONAL SUBSIDIES BLOCK THIS, i.e.!
Europe refuses to cut subsidies on agriculture (yea itrade!
! this lowers prices so
- Many factory products are shipped to other factories as intermediate goods
(unnished products go somewhere else to be nished)!
- Driven by desire to go to lowest-cost area!
- This is called the Disassembly line or the supply chain!
Reasons for Differences in Economies!
- Although she is not a political scientist, how does Meredith dene the variables she
! What evidence does she employ? ECONOMIC (quantitative), cultural (qualitative)!
! What is the underlying theory of
FROM DEVELOPING WORLD!
- In Peru there the process to legally obtain a home has 5 stages. The rst stage alone
-Migrants dont break the law, the law breaks them: its hard to stay legal if you do!
manage to get a permit to work or live in a
- Choice: 1. integrate into society/govt.!
- 2. continue to live in ANARCHY!
- Why integrate?!
- Safety continue building illegally, itll collapse! literally.!
- Gain revenue on taxes to then distribute as health benets, etc.!
- Allow f
- The air in China is bloody awful. Same for India. !
- All but three of the worlds 20 most polluted cities are in India or China!
- Both nations rely on coal as a primary energy source, which is very dirty!
- China also has problems with water
The relationship between economic development and regime type, especially
- o Maos intense repression/Cultural Revolution left the country penniless,!
- while its modern Communist state has done a 180 turn for China.!
- o Chinese govt. ofcials
Model of Modernization!
shortcomings does each model of development present?!
! Economic success you can see this by the number of Indians who have!
emigrated in the past pouring back into a more modernized country!
! However: By caring so much for th
Third World Signicance!
o For developing and communists countries to transition to capitalism!
Revolution regarding property rights. NEW CONCEPT OF
Formal property system in US was developed from tedious law