- Bulgarias location in the Balkans and as a border EU country makes it a popular
destination for immigrants trying to enter the EU from Turkey and its neighbors.
- However, this has also led to relatively inconsistent annual immigration t
9/12/11 Sources of data:
Very detailed accounting of all the people in that area
Very complex like launching an army to take a census
De jure versus de facto
De jure: if you belong t
The Third Demographic Transition: A Race to the Bottom?
! Civil unrest/conflict
! Natural disaster/famine
! Poor economic opportunities
! Religious/ethnic persecution
! Lack of educational
Population Issues in the EU
4/17/14 10:33 PM
o country profile:
! data = plural, datum = singular
data are, these data
this data set is from
! cover page
! map should be figure 1, title at top, source at botto
o Italy- 12th century
! Rise of the Church need to increase followers and workers
Baptize children so they can go to heaven/save their
Church wanted to institutionalize saving children
o Mothers pu
Marriage Numbers in Bulgaria
- The number of marriages for men aged 25-29 in 2000 was 12,554, and for women
aged 20-24 it was 14,550, both of which were the highest of any age group.
In 2012, that distinction has shifted to the 25-29 age group
Future of Population Notes
- The current population pyramid (Figure 3) of Bulgaria reveals several general trends
consistent with other EU countries.
- It is very top heavy, with the majority of the population falling within the age groups
Employment and Unemployment
- The overall employment for Bulgaria in 2012 was 3,436,000 people, which equates to
roughly 49% of the total population.
For the purposes of this country profile, employment is defined as employees and selfemploy
Bulgaria as a Member of the EU
- Bulgaria became a member of the European Union (EU) in 2007, along with
Romania, bringing the Unions membership to 27 countries.
- The addition of Bulgaria was significant because it was the poorest country to
- The total fertility rate (TFR) of Bulgaria during the period of 2000 and 2012 slowly
rose risen, reaching a peak in 2009, followed by a sporadic period from 2010-2012 (Figure 5).
- In 2012, the TFR was 1.5 births per woman, as compared t
Age Distribution Notes
- Currently, the age distribution of the population, in percentages, is 14.2% for ages
0-14, 10.5% for ages 15-24, 42.3% for ages 25-54, 14.1% for ages 55-64, and 18.9%
for ages 65 and over (CIA World Factbook, 2014).
Ethnic Conflict Follow World Wars
- The two world wars coincided with an influx of ethnic Bulgarians back into the
country and the exodus of Turks, Slavic Muslims, and other minorities due to the continued
military conflicts between Bulgaria and Turkey
Population Stats Notes
- The population of Bulgaria as of 2013 is 6,981,642 people (CIA World Factbook).
- In the year 1990, following the end of the communist state and the beginning of the
democratic transition within Bulgaria, its population was 8,71
Bulgaria Under Ottoman Rule
- In 1396, the Ottomon Empire officially annexed the Bulgarian state, beginning
a five-century period of oppression and significant change.
- Harsh political, economic, and social restrictions suddenly replaced 1000 years
what needs to be in a table or a figure
each one has a number
must be mentioned in your text
title must be at the top of the figure
must specify 3 things: what are you measuring, what