Phantom limb pain
- Pain that affects up to 90% of amputees and feels like it originates in an amputated limb
- Seems to come from the part of the limb farthest from the body, such as the foot of an
- Nociception - pain receptors
- Fast acti
1. Why be asleep versus awake?
2. Why do we dream?
3. How does the brain influence states of arousal?
Why do we sleep?
Why are we awake?
Conscious experience is an essential part of emotion
- not being a zombie, experiencing
Superior/Dorsal - up and down - Inferior,Ventral
Medial - in and out - lateral
The brain is like an archeological dig
The brain is like a tennis ball machine
- brain organization
- how the brain receives and sends information
- input enters in the back, o
1. What is the SEEKIng system?
2. How do we know it is an emotion?
3. How is wanting different than liking?
Because its there - George Mallory, mt. everest expeditions, tallest peak in the world,
1/12 die in attempt to climb it, littered with bodies,
1. What is emotion and why does it exist?
2. Where does it come from?
3. How can we determine when someone or something is experiencing emotion?
Ayn Rand, objectivism- the basic principle- man must be guided exclusively by reason
Emotion - a feeling state
Class 5: Brain Activities
The Big Questions
1. How do the electrical processes inside the brain work?
2. How do the chemical processes insi