MTSE 3000 Homework Set 7
A cylindrical specimen of a hypothetical metal alloy is stressed in compression. If its
original and final diameters are 20.000 and 20.025 mm, respectively, and its final length is
74.96 mm, compute its orig
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 9 [2p each]
1. At 500C (930F), what is the maximum solubility (a) of Cu in Ag? (b) Of Ag in Cu?
(a) From Figure 10.7, the maximum solubility of Cu in Ag at 500C corresponds to the position
of the ( + )
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 4
1. [2 pt] Compute repeat unit molecular weights for the following: (a) poly(vinyl
chloride), (b) poly(ethylene terephthalate), (c) polycarbonate, and (d)
(a) For poly(vinyl chloride), each
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 10 [2p each]
1 (a) For the solidification of iron, calculate the critical radius r* and the activation free energy G* if
nucleation is homogeneous. Values for the latent heat of fusion and surface free energy ar
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 3
1. The zinc blende crystal structure is one that can be generated from close-packed planes of anions.
(a) Will the stacking sequence for this structure be FCC or HCP? Why?
(b) Will cations fill tetrahedral or
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 8
One slip system for the BCC crystal structure is cfw_110 111 . In a manner similar to Figure
8.6b, sketch a cfw_110 -type plane for the BCC structure, representing atom positions with
circles. Now, using arr
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 6
Briefly explain the difference between self-diffusion and interdiffusion.
Self-diffusion is atomic migration in pure metals-i.e., when all atoms exchanging positions are of
the same type. Interdiffusion is d
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 5 Solution
1. Calculate the number of vacancies per cubic meter in iron at 850 C. The energy for vacancy
formation is 1.08 eV/atom. The density of Fe is 7.65 g/cm3.
Determination of the number of vacancies per cubic meter
MTSE 3000 Homework Set 2 Solutions
1. Within a cubic unit cell, sketch the following directions: [1 10], [1 2 1], [0 1 2], [12 3] ,
2. Determine the indices for the directions shown in the following cubic unit cell:
Direction A is a [0 1