PHIL 2070 Essay Assignment
Length: 4-5 pages (1000-1250 words)
Format: Times New Roman 12 pt font
Page numbers included
Style: Analytic (i.e. expository with a strong, supported thesis statement)
Theme/Thesis: You will outline one aspect of
Premises must claim to present evidence or reasons
Must be a claim that the evidence or reasons support or imply something
Explicit Inferential Claim:
Premise or conclusion indicators
Implicit Inferential Claim:
Logic Homework Week 3 Sections 2.1 & 2.3
2.1 Part II
1. In dog sled races the dogs are tortured.
Torturing animals is morally wrong.
Therefore, dog sled races are morally wrong.
2. The children of Somalia are starving and covered with flies.
Such a condit
Logic Homework Week 2 Sections 1.5 & 1.6
1.5 Part 1
1. All G are S
All O are S
All G are Q
All cows are animals (T)
All horses are animals (T)
All cows are horses (F)
2. No C are E
Some P are not C
Some E are not P
No cows are horses (T)
Some animals are
Logic Homework Week 2 Sections 1.3 & 1.4
1.3 Part I
1. Deductive: Conclusion follows necessarily from from the premises.
2. Inductive: Argument from signs
3. Inductive: Based on prediction
4. Deductive: Categorical Syllogism
5. Inductive: Generalization
Logic Homework Week 1 Sections 1.1 & 1.2
1.1: Part I
1. P) Carbon monoxide molecules happen to be just the right size and shape, and happen
to have just the right chemical properties, to fit neatly into cavities within hemoglobin
molecules in blood that a
Logic Homework Week 4 Section 2.5
2.5 Part I
1. Rule 3: Too narrow
2. Rule 4: Circular
3. Rule 8: No reference is made to the context
4. Rule 6: Figurative language
5. Rule 1: Improper grammar
6. Rule 2: Fails to state the essential meaning
7. Rule 5: Sho
10. All animals that belong to me are animals I trust.
All dogs are animals that gnaw bones.
All animals I admit to my study are animals that beg when told to do so.
All the animals in the yard are animals that belong to me.
All animals I trust are animal
1. Major term: things that produce intense gravity.
Minor term: extremely dense objects.
Middle term: neutron stars.
Mood, figure: AAA-3; invalid
2. Major term: insects that should be killed.
Minor term: dragonflies.
Middle term: insec
Midterm Review Sheet
Things you should know:
-The characteristics of scientific knowledge
-Empirical, Non-Normative, Transmissible, Generalizable, Explanatory
-The difference between applied and theoretical research questions
- Applied has an immediate ap