Three days shy of her fteenth birthday, Alison Pope paused
at the top of the stairs.
Say rthe staircase was marble. Say she descended and all
heads turned. Where was cfw_Special one? Approaching now,
References and Notes
1. C. B. Saper, P. M. Fuller, N. P. Pedersen, J. Lu,
T. E. Scammell, Neuron 68, 10231042 (2010).
2. J. A. Hobson, Nature 437, 12541256 (2005).
3. B. A. Malow, Epilepsy Curr. 4, 193195 (2004).
4. R. Stickgold, Nature 444, 55956
How Does Fiction Reading Influence Empathy? An
Experimental Investigation on the Role of Emotional
P. Matthijs Bal1*, Martijn Veltkamp2
1 Department of Management & Organization, VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2 Friesl
FWIS 120: Fiction and Empathy
Keck Hall 105
Instructor: Burke Nixon
Phone: (713) 348-4494
Office: Fondren 424
Office hours: By appointment at Brochstein Pavilion
Is there a link between r
THE CLASSIC GUIDE TO
25th Anniversary Edition
A HarperResource Book
An Imprint of HzrperCollinsPublishers
ON WRITING WELL. Sixth Edition, revised and updated. Copyright 1976, 1980,
E!: t #:+
; !?E irgg *i!3t;tj
ll g* i ; =;+ t : i;
I E oE i;
f i f Ii
;+i s*tl; IElr=E*
i; i Eiti Ei Et
$i g; f i;
_jj _, =r
j I tr
-j,r -g- -. + a y L y
i i *i a !:ziEiE=:EEzi
1r,;zzEi-227:1;e q y e;v
si7: 3E i44E;? aE
, -:,4 e i= t f Z+i lcaEE
Rubric for Paper #1 (Academic Summary)
Explanation: A summary should be directed toward imagined readers who have not read the article
being summarized. The purpose of the summary is to give your readers a clear overview of the
articles main points while
10 Essential Questions of Academic Research
1. What problem/debate/claim/widely-held assumption is the research responding to?
2. What is the central question the research is posing?
3. What prior research/theories does the research build its argument on?