Activity 1 1.1 & 1.2 Graphs and Lines
1. Given the points (1.7,6.5) and (-3.2,5.3), plot the points, find the distance between them and find the midpoint of the line connecting them.
2. Sketch the graph of the equation 4x2 + 2y = 3.
Activity 10 2.7 Rational Functions
Vertical Asymptotes occur where the denominator of a reduced rational function is 0. 1. Find the vertical asymptotes of f (x) = 2. Find the vertical asymptotes of f (x) = 3. Find the vertical asymptotes of f
Activity 8 2.3 Polynomial Division
1. Divide f (x) = 5x3 - 4x + 2 by d(x) = x2 - 3x.
2. Use synthetic division to find the quotient and remainder of 9x4 - 3x3 + 2x - 3 divided by x - 2.
3. Is x - 2 a factor of f (x) = x4 - 3x3 + 2x - 3?
2.5 & 2.6 Complex Numbers and the Fundamental Theorem on Algebra
We define the imaginary unit i = -1. Further, given two real numbers a and b, the number a + bi is a complex number. 1. Add or subtract the following complex numbers.
Activity 7 R2.6 & R2.7 Inequalities
1. Solve the following inequalities: a) 18 + x 4x - 1
b) -x + 4 10
2. Solve the following inequalities. a) x - 1 > 3 3
3. Solve the following inequalities: a)-2x + 8 > x2
Group Activity 6 2.2 Polynomials of Higher Degree
Get into groups of three or four. This activity is to be done as a group. 1. This problem deals with the "positive end behavior" of polynomials, that is what happens to the height of the functi
Activity 4 1.8 Inverse Functions
Two functions f (x) and g(x) are inverses if f (g(x) = x and g(f (x) = x (for all x values in the domains of g and of f , respectively). A function f has an inverse if and only if f is 1-1. A function f is 1-1
Activity 5 2.1 Quadratic Functions & Models
1. Solve the following equations: a) x2 - 10x = -9
b) -x2 = 1 x + 4
2. When is the function zero? a) f (x) = 4x2 - 8x - 9
b) g(t) = t2 - 11t - 12
c) g(t) = t2 - 1t + 12
3. Find the vertex o
1.3 & 1.4 Linear Modelling and Functions
1. Nacogdoches County has a property tax rate of 0.4 cents for each dollar of value for a given property. Given a property worth $60,000, what is the tax?
2. Nacogdoches ISD (Independent Sch
Activity 3 1.7 The Algebra of Functions
We will cover 5 ways of combining functions. Consider the functions f (x) = x2 + 2 and g(x) = x3 - 2x as examples. Operation Addition Subtraction Definition Example (f + g)(x) = f (x) + g(x) (f + g)(x) =
Welcome Role Why general education math classes? Learning book, lecture, homework, classmates ["not what you know, but what can you communicate"] Syllabus Responisibilities
Professor Prepare quality lectures Examine fairly and predictably Ret