Working through new Handout 16 today)
1. Whats a genome?
2. Whats in the human genome?
(and how did it get there?)
3. How do we learn about genomes? Whats PCR?
Next Mon and Wed in lecture, we will have
1. Find the unit of torque .
2. Why can't you open a door by pushing on its hinged side?
Watch the prelab video online at https:/web2.ph.utexas.edu/~phy102m/ and
read the manual. Which side should we hang the mass on the bar when we do the
fragment patterns for
three genotypes of sickle
cell or normal globin.
12/4/13 continuing with Handout 17
1. Making recombinant DNA
2. Gene cloning using bacterial plasmids
3. Index card questions (open notes) and courseinstr
1. Homologous chromosomes and cell division
2. Meiosis is a reduction division
3. Compare/contrast mitosis and meiosis
Wednesday lecture and worksheet on genomes
Probable exam grade cutoffs not set yet
87 A72 B60 CI will post grades so
12/6/13 now 12/9/13
1. Review gene cloning using bacterial plasmids
2. What are transgenic organisms (GMOs) and how
are they used?
3. What is somatic cell gene therapy?
In class Monday 9 am I will also help you answer
learning outcomes 4-16 throug
11-18-13 finishing Handout 14
1. Disperse the Signal, Amplify, and Control
2. Examples of signal transduction
3. Control of the Eukaryotic Cell Cycle
Fig 11.6 Signal transduction - whats the point?
A signal outside the cell causes massive and diverse
Finishing Handout 13
1. In multicellular animals, different cells express
2. As cells differentiate, they express different
3. Where did all our genes come from?
Beginning Handout 14
Cell signaling (learning module will be
new Handout 17
1. Working with DNA in the lab
2. What are restriction enzymes?
a) use in diagnosis and forensics
b) also use to make recombinant DNA
(more on recomb. DNA on Wed & Fri)
3. In-class exercise case analysis using DNA