You are charged with identifying factors required for alanine catabolism in the bacterial
pathogen Vibrio cholera. Design experiments to find genes required for alanine catabolism. For
full credit, you must include growth conditions
Worksheet: Energy Harvesting Pathways
1. What is oxidation? Reduction?
Oxidation: loss of electrons (OIL)
Reduction: gain of electrons (RIG)
2. What is a reducing agent? An oxidizing agent?
Reducing agent: electron donor (reduces anoth
with your partner from last week
1-5: (Lac+ control)
6-10: (unknown Lac-)
Chapter 22: Nucleotide Metabolism
- monomers of RNA and DNA.
- energy sources.
- carriers of lipids and carbohydrate (such as UDP-glucose).
- form various coenzymes (such as NAD+).
A and G
10.1 Intermolecular Forces
Intramolecular bonding atoms form stable units called molecules by sharing electrons.
Condensed states of matter liquids/solids
Intermolecular forces occur between molecules rather than within
Water changes from liquid to gas, t
1. The Chief Justice of the United States
Who is John G. Roberts Jr.?
2. The Merchants Exchange Building in New York City
Where did the court meet initially?
3. President from 1909 to 1913
Who is William Howard Taft
4. 385 feet from east to west, (front t
Due Wednesday 9/7
1.) At the atomic level, what is meant by saying a macroscopic object is electrically
2.) Why are everyday objects, with vast numbers of electrons, normally not
3.) Why do clothe
CH301 Fall 2010 Practice Exam1TA Style 1. The signal from a radio station has a wavelength of 0.60 km. What is the frequency of a photon with this wavelength? 1. 5 1010 Hz 2. 3.3 1025 Hz 3. 5 108 Hz 4. 3.3 1022 Hz 5. 5 105 Hz 2. Classically the energy con
CH301 Fall 2010 Practice Quiz 2TA edition 1. Which element below is not paired with its correct electron configuration? 1. Cl, [Ne] 3s2 3p5 2. Ge, [Ar] 4s2 3d10 4p1 3. Ra, [Rn] 7s2 4. Ta, [Xe] 6s2 5d3 5. Fe, [Rn] 5f12 7s2 2. What is the correct electron c
CH301 Fall 2010 Practice Quiz 3 Answer Key 1.How many polar ionic, polar covalent and non-polar covalent bonds are present in the Lewis structure for BF2BNH2? Base your answer on simple EN considerations. (Hint: the molecule is drawn much as it is written
CH301 Fall 2010 Practice QuizTA Style 1. Which of the following wavelengths would correspond to lowest energy electromagnetic radiation? 1. 1.56 km 2. 760 nm 3. 41.2 mm 4. 3.34 nm 5. 7.89 km 6. 98.4 m 2. Emission spectra are an example of the failure of c
Rank the following types of atomic motion/transition from most to least energetic: 1) bond vibrations 2) electron spin flip 3) nuclear spin flip 4) electron excitation A. 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 B. 4 > 1 > 2 > 3 C. 4 > 2 > 3 > 1 D. 1 > 4 > 2 > 3 E. 3 > 2 > 1 > 4 2
1. Write the ground-state electron configuration of a tin(IV) ion. A. [Kr]4d35s15p6 B. [Kr]4d45p6 C. [Kr]4d55s25p3 D. [Kr]4d55p5 E. [Kr]4d10 2. From the data below, which element is likely to be a metal? Element First ionization energy, kJmol1 1 1310 2 3