PS149I August 10, 2011
Expectations for finals:
1. a little higher (know more concretes)
2. more focused arguments (don't go too overreaching)
Presidential Election of 2009
1. Two primary candidates:
1. ran effective ca
Sheikh Fazlollah Nouri
Fazlollah Nouri emerged in the wake of the counter-Constitutional Revolution as a charismatic
figure who mobilized various groups against the Constitutionalists political forces in Iran at the turn
of the 20th century. He emer
Political Science 149
Final Examination Study Guide
Part I: IDs. You will be asked to identify and explain the significance of FIVE (5 of
10) of the following terms. Do not write more than one page on each term.
Theda Skocpol is a political sci
PS149I August 9, 2011
When US invaded Iraq, Iran felt as though the US had circled it (presence in Iraq, Pakistan,
Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Turkey, etc). The notion of regime change through conquest had
not yet been discredited.
1. Neo-cons asked Wh
PS149I August 8, 2011
First, define terms:
1. In aftermath of Islamic Revolution, splintering erupted within the Khomeini camp.
In 10 years, 3 factions emerged
1. Radicals keen to spread Iranian Revolution all over the world. Wanted
Implications of the Iranian Revolution (Islamic Revolution)
1. Export of Revolution
1. Threat ideologies become the threat (Iran's ideology a threat to Iraq, UAE,
Bahrain, who had huuge Shi'a populations)
1. Ideology ideas that d
PS149I 26 July 2011
Suicide bombings/missions in contemporary times
1. Mujahedin initiated suicide bombings against their own government (Khomeini)
2. Islamic Republic of Iran adopted this 'call to martyrdom' during the Iran-Iraq war.
PS149I July 22, 2011 Discussion
Week 3: Discussion/Reading Questions
Why was the fall of the Shah so unexpected? Find specific explanations and historical
details that explain why analysts did not think the Shah was vulnerable.
1. Blatant disrespect of