a— . —r.
Problem Set Number 1
1. A student has preferences over two late night “snacks”: burgers and hotdogs. Suppose the
student’s indifference curves are linear as shown:
1 2 ~ u
slope = -2
m ¥AAA #44.
PMB 40 Midterm. February 26,2013. Nam ~-~
Section A. Circle "a" "b" or "c" for questions 1 to 20. (20 points)
1. Out of the 250,000 species of flowering plants, how many make up most food crops?
2. Undifferentiated cell
DUE: TuesdayNovember29 (afterThanksgiving)
L A competitivefirm hasa costfunctionC(V): ll2. Suppose
thatthe ownerof the firm is risk
neutralandis giventhe followingoptions:
Option 1: (no pricestabilization)
Economics 101A ~ Fall 201 1
Problem Set Number 2
Due: Thursday September 15 in class
1. Consider the utility function U(X1, x2) = ocxI + BXZ Vt .
a) Prove that the indifference curves for U have DMRS.
Hint: ﬁnd the equation of an indifference curve, ﬁnd t
1. An industryconsistsof two firms. Firm t hascostfunctionC(y,): Yr *
while firm2 hascostfunctionC(yr): 3y, + Yryz'
a) Supposeeachfirm operatesasa competitivesupplier.Find the two firms' s
Economicsl0lA - ProblemSetNumber 7
Due: ThundayNovember3 in class
l Assume there are two kinds of studentsin the population. Group t has a relativelyhigh return
to post-gradtraining: their annualproductivity (in thousandsof $) is
where S : years
Economics 101A - Problem Set Number 6
Due: Thursday October 27 in class
1. Two roommates, 1 and 2, have preferences over leisure (X) and the cleanliness of their room,
c. Suppose c = y] + yz, Where y is the amount of time spent by roommate i in cleanup ac
Problem Set Number 3
Due: Thursday Sept 22 in class
NOTE: Midterm #1 is September 29
1. The market for milk in California is in equilibrium at price p0. A lobby group of dairy farmers
proposes to set up a subsidy program to increase milk co
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PMB 40 Midterm 2. April 9, 2013 Name:_
._._._. . - ~._-~._.- .,_
Section A. 20 questions~ 1 points each
=20 points. Please ci rcle a, b, o'r c.
1. A hormone is
~made in one place and acts in another