Guided Reading - Physiology of the Kidneys III
1. Which transporters in the proximal tubule are polyspecific and transport small molecules of drugs and toxins to the ultrafiltrate? A. water transporters B. renal aquaporins C. organic anion transporters D.
Guided Reading - Physiology of the Kidneys V
1. A decrease in blood pressure will cause an increase in GFR through sympathetic stimulation. True False
2. The concentration of glucose in the glomerular ultrafiltrate is less than that of plasma. True False
Guided Reading - Physiology of the Kidneys I
1. In response to alkalosis A. the kidney maximally reabsorbs bicarbonate. B. the kidney excretes bicarbonate. C. excess H+ enters the tubular filtrate. D. tubular carbonic anhydrase is inhibited.
2. The minimu
Guided Reading - Physiology of the Kidneys II
1. What is present in the vasa recta to remove water for the interstitial fluid of the renal medulla? A. Na+/K+ pump B. urea transporters C. aquaporins D. ADH receptors 2. The efferent arteriole delivers blood
Guided Reading - The Autonomic Nervous System III
1. Compared to norepinephrine, epinephrine has one less methyl group. True False
2. Nonshivering thermogenesis requires the A. somatic nervous system. B. sympathoadrenal system. C. parasympathetic system.
Guided Reading Muscle: Mechanisms of Contraction and Neural Control IV
1. The _ complex contains three proteins designated as the I, T, and C types. A. actin B. myosin C. tropomyosin D. troponin 2. Smooth muscle contraction requires the actions of myosin
Guided Reading - Endocrine Glands V
1. _ inhibits COX3 in the brain which results in pain and fever reduction. A. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) B. Aspirin C. Ibuprofen (Motrin) D. All of the choices are correct.
2. The same prostaglandin may produce different e
Guided Reading - The Autonomic Nervous System II
1. Stimulation of the iris by parasympathetic nerves stimulates pupillary constriction. True False 2. Salivary secretions are decreased and become thicker in response to sympathetic stimulation. True False
Guided Reading - Cardiac Output, Blood Flow, and Blood Pressure II
1. Sympathetic stimulation promotes an overall increase in blood flow resistance. True False
2. At rest, most blood is within the venous system. True False
3. The effect of acetylcholine b
Guided Reading - Cardiac Output, Blood Flow, and Blood Pressure I
1. The type of shock resulting from lipopolysaccharides is termed A. hypovolemic shock. B. cardiogenic shock. C. septic shock. D. neurogenic shock.
2. Hypotension could be induced by A. exc
Guided Reading - Cardiac Output, Blood Flow, and Blood Pressure III
1. The sounds heard during the first phase of blood-pressure measurement are A. murmurs. B. snapping sounds. C. thumping sounds. D. muffled thumping sounds.
2. Blood volume would be incre
Guided Reading - Blood, Heart, and Circulation III
1. Myocardial cells exhibit a plateau phase instead of quickly repolarizing. This is due to A. inward diffusion of calcium through slow Ca2+ channels. B. inward diffusion of sodium through fast Na+ channe
Guided Reading - Regulation and Metabolism III
1. If an unsaturated fatty acid chain is 22 carbons long and the first of three double bonds is at the fifth carbon from the methyl end, it would be an A. omega-5 fatty acid. B. omega-22 fatty acid. C. omega-