Denny Ho, 20848486
1. Briefly define concrete admixtures and state one main reason for their use in
Admixtures are materials other than water, aggregates, hydraulic cements, and fiber
reinforcement that can be added to the
HW 1, due 2/7/11
a.What are the two basic raw materials used for the manufacture of portland cement?
The two basic raw materials that make up portland cement are limestone (containing calcium) which
make up about of the raw comp
1. State two reasons for using pozzolans in concrete.
Pozzolans can be used as a partial replacement for Portland cement in concrete. This is desirable
because of the lower cost of pozzolans as compared to cement. Also, if th
1. Explain the operations covered by the following terms, and discuss the significance of
these operations: retempering, revibration, screeding, and bullfloating.
Retempering: adding more water to the concrete mix at the
1) List four nondestructive test methods for the evaluation of concrete quality.
Which one can be used as a direct substitute for determining the compressive
strength of concrete?
1. Surface hardness methods: consists of impac