Due Monday July 20 in section
1) Provide independent balanced reactions for the oxidation of glucose (C 6H12O6) to CO2
and coupled to the reduction of each of the following electron acceptors:
Sulfate (SO42-) to sulfide (H
Due Monday July 13 in section
1A) Describe a diauxic growth curve, the cellular behavior that is caused by catabolite
The strain grows rapidly at first, then enters a brief period of slow or no growth (as measured
Due Tuesday August 11 in class
1) What experiment demonstrated that transcription is necessary for light production by V.
fischeri at high cell density?
A culture of V. fischeri was grown until late log phase, before it
Due Monday August 3 in section
For some of the questions below, it will help you to consult the reading assignments in
1) Why would biological nitrogen fixation be preferable to industrial nitrogen fixation?
Due Thursday July 23 in class
1A) What is the difference between a photoautotroph and a photoheterotroph?
photoautotroph: fixes CO2 as its carbon source
photoheterotroph: uses organic carbon compounds as carbon source
Due in section Monday, June 29
1) You decide to study bacterial shape. You mutagenize a rod-shaped bacterial strain with a
transposon, and then screen the mutants visually for shapes other than rods. You find some
1) How is the transcription of heat shock genes increased when a cell experiences heat shock?
Include all mechanisms that contribute to an increase in transcription. (3 pts)
Heat melts the stem-loop of rpoH mRNA, increasing tran
Practice Midterm 2
1) In electron transport chains, electrons derived from NADH give a greater energy yield than
electrons from FADH2. Explain why this is the case, including the identities of specific electron
transport chain comp
Midterm 1, Summer 2015
1) In this experiment, the ONLY copy of a bacterial gene was
placed under the control of an inducible promoter. The curve
marked by the black arrow shows the behavior of the strain when
transcription of the gene is