Wikileaks Release of Information:
Founder- Julian Assange
Release of sensitive, classified information involving the US diplomatic relations.
Should the public have access to this info- no! arbiter of info/diplomatic relations.
N. Korea, Iran
This Rise of China:
1. US GDP (1998)- 7.9 trillion (2009)- 14.1 trillion
2. Japans GDP(1998)- 4.1 trillion
3. Chinas GDP (1998)- 1.8 trillion
*China is third on the list by exports and imports by nation.
1. China on the rise
2. Rising t
1. The Establishment Clause- its original meaning vs. its current interpretation.
2. Establishment Clause cases- Prayer in school: Engel vs. Vitale (1962)-No
- Moment of Silence(1985): Wallace vs. Jafree-Depends
- Benedictions at gr
Review Guide for Final POSI 3301
What are the demographics related to voting? Which variable is the best
indicator? Which are not effective indicators?
Education, Age, income, gender and race.
Best indicator is race: in the last two electio
Be able to identify the current members of the Supreme Court.
4 liberals, 4 conservatives, and one moderate conservative.
Breyer, Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Stevens, Kennedy, Scalia, Thomas, Roberts, Alito
What is judicial rev
West Virginia v. Barnette (1943)
This case led to the sherbert test.
Jehovahs witnesses involved in pledging the allegiance. Stating the flag was
idolatry. Students of Jehovahs witnesses should be exempt in participating in
1. Judicial Activism- passages of the constitution should be viewed as vital, living principles that
change over time.
2. Judicial Restraint/ strict constructionism- justices should be very careful not to place their own
1. Areas of study:
-American Gov, international relations, PA, public policy, comparative studies, political
2. Limitations to doing research in political science:
- Improper sources
- Overuse of journalistic s
U.S Tariff Policy over time:
1. Before WWII- protectionist; placing high tariffs on foreign goods.
- Smoot-Holley Act
2. After WWII- lowering tariffs
- The depression was global and hit Russia just as hard
-general agreement on trade and tariff
Why write opinions?- why not just state opinions?
1. Stare Decisis- let the decision stand. It works in a vertical time dimension to future courts; dont
change a ruling with another case.
Types of Decisions:
1. Majority opinion- not only justices agreeing
Intrepid Mid-Term 2010 Predictions:
1. What does this mean?
- The slaughtering of blue dogs (a more conservative, republican caucus)- moderate areas and
moderate people. Safe districts held on.
- Republican vulnerabilities, but democratic retirements.