Media Law second exam 10/13/2016
Elements of libel
-Defamatory statement that is false
-Identifies its intended victim
-It has to be broadcast or published (disseminated)
-The court has constitutional standards by adding an element to prove libel,
September 13, 2016
Rule of Law: Stability & Precedent
- Stability: The rule of law demands that laws change slowly and
- Recall: The COMMON LAW is a type of law created by court opinions.
- When a court decides a case it writes dow
September 8, 2016
Who made the Supreme court the final authority on what the constitution means?
IS it in the constitution?
Until 1803 no one really knew who had the authority to be the final
interpreter of the constitution
Hazelwood v. Kuhlmeier (USSC 1983)
- Holding: school officials have control over school- sponsored activities,
such as student newspapers, theatrical productions and other expressive
Morse v. Frederick (USSC 2007)
- 2002: Olympic torch relay i