4341 Practice Problems 3
1. Conduct a complete vibrational analysis (find all IR and Raman active vibrational modes) for CH 3CN
(point group C3v!). To do this you will need to first generate a reducible representation () on the system
of x,y,z axes for ea
CHEM 4341 Exam 1
105 pts possible
*A point group flow chart and character tables may be found on the (detchable) last page. Answer
questions 4-9 on separate paper. Show all work, and number each problem clearly.*
1. Provide the point g
4341 Practice Problems 2
1. Determine the transformation matrix (acting upon the coordinate system x,y,z) for the following
a. xy (a mirror in the xy plane)
c. S4 about the x-axis
d. S6 about the z-axis
2. Determine the transformation mat
4341 Practice Problems 1
1. Define the meaning of each of the symmetry elements:
2. Complete the following relationships:
a. C1 = ?
b. S1 = ?
c. S2 = ?
d. S42 = ? (the second application of S4)
e. S33 = ? (the third application o