1. The nurse is responding to phone calls. Which call should the nurse return first?
1. 37 weeks gestation, reports no fetal movement for 24 hours
Correct Answer: 1
Rationale 1: A lack of fetal movement in a fetus in the third trimester can ind
A patient who sustained a difficult, lengthy labor and delivery is conversing with the nurse. Suddenly, the
patient complains of chest pain and appears dyspneic. She is cyanotic and tachycardic, and her blood
pressure has decreased to 78/36. Wh
The nurse is orienting a new graduate nurse to the labor and birth unit. Which statement indicates that
teaching has been effective? When a patient arrives in labor:
4. A vaginal exam is performed if delivery appears to be imminent.
The nurse is supervising care in the emergency department. Which situation most requires an
3. Bright red bleeding with clots at 32 weeks gestation; pulse = 110, blood pressure 90/50, respirations =
Rationale 3: Bleeding in the
1. The nurse is auscultating fetal heart tones in a patient who is 37 weeks' gestation. While in a supine
position, the patient states, Im getting lightheaded and dizzy, and I feel clammy. Which of the
following nursing actions is most appropri
1. The pregnant patient has completed the prenatal questionnaire and asks the nurse why this form had
to be completed. The best response by the nurse is:
3. We occasionally identify a health problem that puts the current pregnancy at higher ris
The nurse in the obstetrical clinic is setting appointments for patients seeking preconceptual care. Which
patient should be seen first?
1. 36-year-old, has never been pregnant, takes medication for a seizure disorder
Rationale 1: This patient
A patient who has been unable to conceive asks the nurse if it is her fault or her husbands fault that
they have not been able to become pregnant. The best response by the nurse is:
4. We will know more about what is causing your infertility af
The nurse is teaching a class to women who were recently diagnosed with benign breast disease (BBD),
commonly known as fibrocystic breast disease. One of the participants reports increased swelling, pain,
and pressure in her breasts just before
1. The nurse is explaining the difference between meiosis and mitosis. Which statement does the nurse
include? Select all that apply.
3. Meiosis is the process by which gametes, or the sperm and ova, are formed.
5. Meiotic division leads to cel
1. The clinic nurse is returning phone calls. Which call should the nurse return first?
2. 17-year-old asking if there is a problem with using one tampon for a whole day
Rationale 2: Using a single tampon for an entire day can lead to toxic sho
1. During a prenatal visit, a patient expresses interest in accessing community-based care and services.
Which response allows the registered nurse to best describe services that are offered by way of
2. "Community-based c