Use the following to answer questions 1-9:
C. Smooth ER
E. Rough ER
1. is continuous with the outer membrane of the nucleus
2. it functions in maintaining cell shape and in performing cellular movements
1. Which statement about thermodynamics & metabolism is false?
A) Catabolic processes are exergonic.
B) Endergonic reactions have positive (+) G values.
C) Anabolic reactions require energy input to proceed.
D) Unusable energy yielded in a process is expl
1. The membrane components which provide the unique functionality of each membrane type
D) fatty acids.
2. All of the following are functions of the cell membrane except:
A) organize c
1. You have developed a process to dehydrogenate butter which means that you have added
double bonds to the fatty acids of the triglycerides comprising the butter. What is/are the
consequence(s) of this process?
A) The butter is no longer solid at room te
1. You have discovered that a small molecule is soluble in water. What else could you infer about
A) It likely has a preponderance of C-H bonds.
B) It may have polar covalent bonds.
C) It may form ions in solution.
D) A, B, and C could be t
1. The element sodium (Na) is a highly reactive metal that can burst into flames when exposed to
air. The element chlorine(Cl) is a noxious gas. When sodium and chlorine atoms are combined, a
harmless solid of water soluble salt crystals,NaCl, are formed
1. Which of the following statements is false concerning starch and cellulose?
A) Cellulose is a linear polysaccharide, while starch has a branched form.
B) Both starch and cellulose are comprised of the monosaccharide glucose.
C) Starch has only a struct
Use the following to answer questions 39-42:
Choices A-D are each only used once.
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A or B
1. NADP+ is the final electron acceptor.
2. Glucose oxidized to pyruvate
3. Oxygen reduced to
1. In photosynthesis, ATP and NADPH are produced during:
A) the carbon fixation reactions.
B) the light-dependent phase.
C) the light-independent phase.
2. Which of the following occurs during the light-independent rea
1. Which of the following is true concerning NAD+/ NADH?
A) The oxidized form is produced during certain stages of glycolysis and cell respiration.
B) The reaction A AH2 would be coupled to the reaction: NAD+ + 2H NADH + H+.
C) The NAD+ form de-phosphoryl