1. How would you describe Feuersteins approach to helping his workers and the community
when the factory burned?
His approach was a classic example of CSR. As he is quoted in the case:
I have a responsibility to the workerI have an equ
1. What is the purpose of a Code of Ethics?
A companys code of ethics is: A companys written standards of ethical behavior that are
designed to guide managers and employees in making the decisions and choices th
1. Is it ethical for U.S. regulations to put U.S. companies at an apparent disadvantage to their
foreign competitors? Explain why or why not.
2. If foreign companies pay bribes, does that make it OK for U.S. companies to do the same?
1. Tom was obviously overconfident in the final stages of the testing process, but was his
behavior unethical? Why or why not?
Answers will vary. Some students will feel that Scott was misled by Toms confident
1. Did the Captain make the right decision? Why or why not?
Answers will vary. Arguments will focus on the information available to the captain at the
time the decision was made and his apparent commitment to saving the maxi
1. Stamford has been robbing Peter to pay Paul. What does that mean in this case, and how
did they do it?
In order to finish the previous fiscal year with a strong fourth quarter, Stamford deferred
1. Does paperwork that takes seventy-five thousand man hours guarantee that your company
will now operate in a more ethical manner? Explain your answer.
Answers will vary. The authors viewpoint is that m
Subtitles and Transcript
Translated by Anh Tran Reviewed by Dang Trang Nguyen
0:12 Nhng chuyn chng ta k cho nhau nghe c ngha r t quan tr ng. Nh ng
chuyn chng ta ni vi bn thn v chnh cu c s ng c a mnh cng v y. V trn h t,
Ti ngh cch m chng ta
Poverty, money and love
Subtitles and Transcript
Poverty, money and love
1.1M views Oct 2010
0:12 The stories we tell about each other matter very much. The stories we tell ourselves
about our own lives matter. And mo
1. Did Jean ValJean do the right thing? Why or why not?
Answers will vary particularly over the relative value of one life over another. Does
Valjeans position and responsibility for the welfare of others make his life or h
1. Did Sophie do the right thing in choosing her son over her daughter? Why or Why not?
Answers will vary particularly as to whether there is such an outcome as the right thing in
this situation. There was a rationale for her decisi
1. What kind of ethical dilemma is Mary Facing?
Truth versus Loyalty should she tell Jim the truth or remain loyal to the organization and
let Jim be formally notified by the branch director.
2. Should Mary rely on the Huma
1. Which ethical standards are being violated here?
Violations can be measure across the board here from a CSR perspective, Coke appears
to be offending every element of the triple bottom line environmental, social, and (since
1. Who are the stakeholders in this case?
The stockholders who lost their investment; the employees who lost their jobs; vendor
partners whose invoices probably went unpaid; the local civil and federal agencies that lost
1. Is it fair to hold a CEO responsible for any and all actions of a company? Consider that
Scrushy was not an accountant and that the outside auditors Ernst & Young did not detect
the fraud. If he were not involved, sho
1. How did Michael Eisner manage to exert so much power at Disney?
He combined the role of Chairman and CEO and, over a period of years, populated the
Disney Board with members who were supportive of his strategic plans for the or
1. Which stakeholders are impacted by this case?
Investors in the NYSE, even as a non-profit lost funds that could have been reinvested in
the corporation rather than paid out to Grasso. No employees lost their jobs and no
1. Should a manufacturer go beyond government standards if it feels there may be a potential
safety hazard with its product?
Definitely. Such an act would meet the definition of the right thing to do for customer safety.
1. Sox has introduced sweeping changes in the name of enforcing corporate ethics. Is it really
a fair piece of legislation? Explain your answer.
Answers will vary. Some will perceive the legislation as a sledgeh
1. Should people have the moral right to end their lives if they so please?
Answers will vary. Many will argue for the individuals right to command their own quality of
1. Which ethical theory or theories could be used to explain the situation in Omelas?
Ethics for the Greater Good the terrible decision to sacrifice the welfare of this one child in
1. Would you cash the check or return it to Global Investment Banking? What is the right thing
to do here? Explain the reasoning behind your decision.
Answers will vary. Some will empathize with his anger and frustration at the
1. Although Johnson & Johnson took a massive short-term loss by its actions, it was cushioned
by the relative wealth of the company. Should it have acted the same way if the survival of
1. Should Carol have discussed her brothers relationship with his COO, Sue Ralston, with
She obviously thought he already knew, which made the discussion more about gossip
than about deciding what the consequences
1. Who are the stakeholders in the case?
Every recognized stakeholder is impacted by this creative accounting customers, vendor
partners, employees, shareholders, federal and state agencies, and the local
1. How would you describe the managerial philosophy of Wal-Mart? What principles are
involved? What are the overriding aims, values, and goals of Wal-Mart?
The management would describe Wal-Mart as a business that was built
1. Did the Montrose Chemical Corporation, in manufacturing and selling DDT to the public,
violate any ethical standards?
By the time they started producing it, DDT had already developed a track record of
Business Ethics and Social
Business Ethics and Social Responsibility
The Role of Ethics in Business
Recognizing Ethical Issues in Business
Improving Ethical Behaviour in
The Nature of Social R