The end of World War II marked the beginning of Americans wanting to return to
normalcy and traditional gender roles which were questioned during the war. This led
to phenomenon called the domestic containment.
Reading Questions for December 3rd
1) Biblical epics were very popular films during the 1950s and the early 1960s because there
was a rising tide of religious feeling in the United States during that time and there trends such as
Domestic Containment-Ideology in the 1940s to 1960s that stated a womans role
should be inside a household as mothers, housewives, and a devoted wife.
The organization man-A management book that pointed out that Americans were
developing more of a collect
Identity Unit Portfolio
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
History of Name
Different Roles (Yous)
Reflection on Boy at the Window
Reflection on The Centaur
Academic Essay on Charles
Academic Essay on Carmelo
Reading Questions for November 7th
1) Mailer came up with the term White Negro which meant a class of white people whose
primary inspiration was the sexuality and music of Afro-Americans. Elvis was considered a
White Negro as his
Reading Questions for November 21st
1) Sports were very important to television producers in the 1950s because sports programs
attracted male viewers and television was the quickest medium to the primary market so it was
Reading Questions for Tues. 15 Oct.
1. Cold War policy makers thought that sexual degeneracy would lead to communism as
national security depended upon the ability of strong, manly men to stand up against communist
Reading Questions for Tues. 8 Oct.
1. Television was like vaudeville in that a lot of its variety show programs drew inspiration from
vaudeville and because of this, many shows emphasized physical humor and the immediate
Reading Questions for Tues. 1 Oct.
1) One of the consequences of the television replacing the hearth and the piano in the family
room was that the designs of these rooms began changing as floor plans began to include a space
Reading Questions for Thurs. 3 Oct.
1) Daytime television was different from night time in that because it was geared towards
women, the formats of the programs were different. Soap operas relied less on action and visuals