1. How has Solectrons value to its customers evolved over time?
Solectron started as an electronic manufacturing company, which was founded to make
solar energy products in 1977.
Starting in 1980s, it focused its complete attention on contract manufactu
Prepare 1 Barilla SpA (A)
1. What are the product characteristics and supply chain characteristics?
1. Two product categories: Dry products and Fresh products
2. A strong brand name and image for pasta.
3. Selling pasta in a seale
Chapter 1 Assignments
Review 1: What advantages does TDM have over FDM in a circuit-switched network? Please
compare different multiplexing technologies used in Mobile phone system: TDM, FDM, CDM,
and explain how 4G uses TDM or FDM.
TDM and FDM
1. Industry, product, supply chain characteristics.
o HP DeskJet Printer Supply Chain operates printers
o HP organized partially by product group and partially by functions
o Highly vertically integrated
o Localization strategy
1. What are the key challenges faced by Hitachi GST in market timing decision?
Whether Hitachi GST should invest more time in product and process design
and improvement, or push the product to market before competitors
Clint prefers delaying market entr
Pear & Sons publishes a textbook in the rapidly evolving field of operations management.
Constant annual sales of 100,000 copies.
Printing each copy costs $60.
After a new edition is released, its sales value is discounted at the rate of $2 every 3 mon
1. You work in the inventory planning department of a car
manufacturing facility, and a (Q,R) inventory system is used to
control the replenishment of a commonly used engine. The
department pays $1000 for each engine; in addition, a fixed fee of
What crisis: inventory imbalance, i.e., some product options
having excess inventory while some others have shortages.
What caused it:
many product options due to geography,
long DC replenishment lead time,
highly uncertain market