Study questions 1
1. We combine words and sentence structures in novel ways all the time.
2. Psychology of language.
3. Language is primarily a system for communication. Second language is a system of
words and rules for combining the
Study questions ch.2
1. They leave behind the scent of food on the path that leads to the food which will guide
other ants to it.
2. They dance in a figure-eight and show the other bees where the pollen is.
3. Because they can only co
Exercise chapter 8b.
1. Tip of the tongue are accompanied by a strong feeling of knowing.
2. Blocking hypothesis is interlopers and actively gets in the way of our remembering the
3. Partial activation explains tip of the tongue
Study questions ch 3 B
1. The vocabulary is restricted and the sentences short and grammatically simplified;
speech is slower with more pauses between words and repetitive and the stress and
intonation is often exaggerated.
2. Its wide spread
Study questions 8A
1. When you are speaking there is little room for error, unlike when you are listening.
2. A slip of the tongue is a speech error where you say the wrong thing.
3. The words weekend and maniacs have been exchanged,
Reading quiz chapter 7
1. Parsing-the process of working out the syntactic structure of a sentence.
2. Lexical ambiguity= the lexical ambiguity is when the meaning or such of the word is
ambiguous in the sentence.
3. Garden path sentences- whe
1. Telegraphic speech emphasizes their clipped, abbreviated nature.
2. 4=laugh, 6-babbles consonants, 9-some comprehension of words and simple
instructions- 12- ma or first words, 18, two word utterances, 24- three word utterances
and longer, 36- increasi
$ CHILD, EXAMINER
+Participants: Carly Child, Lori Clinician
+Gender: F MLU: 16.28
e what do you do at listening?
11c (well um we um it's after) we/'re the last one/s.
9c the orange group get/3s to go there last.
c (well um we um it's after) we/'re the last one/s.
c the orange group get/3s to go there last.
c (um) they have book/s.
c and you put those earphone/s on.
c and then you turn it on.
c you r
Exercise 2 - 3
c (um well) why don't I just start at the beginning?
e start at the beginning.
c (okay,) I was born in Washington_DC.
c so I always think that/'s k
+Participants: Jordan Child, Melissa=Clinician
+Activities: clinician gets out bag of plastic links.
e oh my goodness!
e there's a sticker in here.
c that/'s Snoopy
17C: now tell me what this thing was last week with your leg/s, or the week before
7 P; uh, no good, uh. Um, uh, eight anduh, uhuh, knees and ankle/suh,
6 Cl what did you do about it?
10 P: uh, home, doctor, and leg/suh, walk/